cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 2

Traffic Prioritisation BT -> Home

HI,

Please advise where I can find details about the prioritisation (ie QOS)  of traffic that BT applies in the network towards the consumer (i.e. the home).

My service is copper based, and I get 37Mb/s download (BT to home).  This bandwidth is often saturated, and I'd like to understand, in the event of contention:

- which traffic receives highest priority, and which is lower (if any)? (for example "PPoE > SIP > BT VoIP > BT TV/Sport > Gaming > Other streaming providers > HTTP/S > Other")

- Are there any classification rules BT have put in writing somewhere?  

- What size queues are provided in the BT Gateway towards the consumer, before lower priority traffic is dropped (queues are expensive, they need hardware memory, so I do not expect much for consumers..)

-------------------------

Point of interest:  imagine if a UK ISP allowed the consumer to choose which traffic they wanted to be prioritised from network to home, via an ISP provided Portal....

0 Ratings
1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2

Re: Traffic Prioritisation BT -> Home

@Denigor666 

As far as I am aware, contention used to be about 50:1 for residential users. Priority is given for BT TV multicast and Digital Voice for obvious reasons. I do not think there is any other form of traffic shaping.

Its unlikely you will get a definitive answer from BT, as its commercially sensitive.

0 Ratings