cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ben75
Message 1 of 11

Trouble activating Smart Hub

Go to solution

I’ve just moved into a new build house which has a Huawei modem fitted in a cupboard under the stairs and which should be set up with BT broadband. I’ve received a Smart Hub that contains a red ethernet cable. The instructions with the Smart Hub say to connect one end to the WAN socket in the hub, and the other to port one in the modem. All of the sockets of the modem already have wires in them so I don’t know where to connect it.

I contacted BT who told me the Smart Hub doesn’t need to be connected to the modem. It seems that it can be connected direct from the broadband socket to a wall socket. I purchased an RJ11 cable and tried it with several wall sockets but none work and the hub keeps flashing purple. 

I’m unsure which method I should be using (WAN to modem or broadband socket to wall), and can’t figure out how to do either. Can anyone help? 

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: Trouble activating Smart Hub

Go to solution

Where does the cable in port one of the modem go to? Possibly an Ethernet patch panel.

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 3 of 11

Go to solution

2018-11-30 19_19_34-Window.png

0 Ratings
Ben75
Message 4 of 11

Go to solution

I’m unsure which is port one of the modem. I’ve tried to take a photo but the file is too large to upload. There is a grey cable which runs to a wall socket and a phone line cable which runs into a wall socket. A third cable goes through the wall (there is something like brush fibres which is disappears through. There’s also a cable which is attached to a plug that is plugged into an electrical socket. The other cable slots seem to have wires which connect from one part of the modem to another part of it (it’s not easy to tell as there’s a casing over it but it looks like the modem is in two parts) 

Also there are five lights on the modem. The ones saying TEL1, PON, and POWER are on, whilst the ones saying PORT1 and LOS aren’t

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 5 of 11

Go to solution

Port1 light will illuminate when connected to the hub via the ethernet port. LOS (loss of signal) should remain unlit.

xONT.JPG.pagespeed.ic.iS_szeWJkR.jpg

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 11

Go to solution

Shrink the photo and upload it.

There is a modem and battery back up unit.

The Hub should connect to the second port from the left and probably connects to an RJ45 wall socket to extend it to another part of the house. You can either unplug this lead and connect your hub or find out where the RJ45 socket is cabled to and plug the Hub in there.

The leftmost connector is the optical lead and should have a green cover, DO NOT TOUCH THIS CONNECTOR.

ont1.jpg

For older installations

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 7 of 11

Go to solution

@licquorice That's the original type ONT you've  posted. See photo in my post.

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 8 of 11

Go to solution

BTW, the ONT no longer comes with battery back up.

0 Ratings
Ben75
Message 9 of 11

Go to solution

Okay, so port one has the grey cable. Have unplugged it and plugged in the red cable and now have Internet. Thanks! 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 11

Go to solution

Glad you got it working

0 Ratings