Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Fellwalker
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 9

Troubleshooter and speed tester fails to load

I am really confused.

(We get intermittent problems with the web stopping, and downloads crawling or failing.  BBC iPlayer occasionally pauses itself, and says buffering or no internet. )

I cannot get into the Troubleshooter and Speed Tester.  It just sticks on the three bouncing balls for as long as I leave it open - even overnight.

2018-11-05.png

I contacted BT because on one attempt it came back with a message

"Troubleshooter and Speed testerAccount checks.  We’re sorry, something went wrong.Please get in touch" and it gave a link to chat.

Instead of fixing this, chat told me to go to the bt wholesale speed checker.  Long story, but eventually I was told there was a fault nearby and it would be fixed.  I even got an email confirming, and a reference

VOL055-*************.  It is supposed to be fixed by yesterday 6th.

Supposedly I can check how that fault report is going, but if I go to the fault report check link sent to me, it takes me on a roundabout route via signing in AGAIN (even though I am already signed in to my BT ID) to an error page where it says TRACKFAULT_PAGE_HEADER.

2018-11-07 (1).png

2018-11-07 (2).png

2018-11-07 (3).png

It does this on my Windows 10 PC in Firefox and Edge and Chrome.  It does the same on my mobile and my tablet running Opera, Chrome or Roboform.

Are these pages (Troubleshooter and Fault Tracker)  working for anyone else?  How can I get to find out what they think the fault was, and whether it has been fixed?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To err is human, but to really mess it up requires a computer
0 Ratings
8 REPLIES
Message 2 of 9

Re: Troubleshooter and speed tester fails to load

@Fellwalker Thanks for posting, I'm really sorry to see you're having problems with your connection. Can you post your router stats and we'll take a look? I've removed the reference as this is a public forum and visible to everyone on the internet so best to keep that kind of info private. 

Community ModeratorNeilO
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Make sure you are logged into the forum otherwise you will not see our contact link when a moderator offers help. When sending us your details please don’t send a Private message (PM), we can’t deal with account/service issues via PM so please use the contact link. Thank You
0 Ratings
Fellwalker
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 9

Hi Neil

Thanks for your interest.  As I cannot access anything to do with that fault code, I didn't have any idea that there was anything personal in it.  Thanks for hiding it - but is there any way you can tell me anything from it?

Router stats as follows:

Product name:

BT Hub 6A

Serial number:

+084316+NQ71357397

Firmware version:

SG4B1000B540

Firmware updated:

15-May-2018

Board version:

Gui version:

DSL uptime:

4 Days, 23 Hours 33 Minutes 15 Seconds

Data rate:

20.00 Mbps / 74.00 Mbps

Maximum data rate:

32241 / 80098

Noise margin:

13.7 dB / 7.4 dB

Line attenuation:

14.2 dB

Signal attenuation:

VPI / VCI:

0/38

Modulation:

G_993_2_ANNEX_B

Latency type:

Fast Path

Data sent / received:

3710 MB Uploaded / 15704 MB Downloaded

Broadband username:

bthomehub@btbroadband.com

BT Wi-fi:

Active

2.4 GHz wireless network name:

BTHub6-5FC2

2.4 GHz wireless channel:

Smart (Channel 6)

5 GHz wireless network name:

BTHub6-5FC2

5 GHz wireless channel:

Smart (Channel 36)

Wireless security:

WPA2 (Recommended)

Wireless mode:

Mode 1

Firewall:

On

MAC address:

A0:8E:78:25:CF:47

Software variant:

-

Boot loader:

When I used the Wholesale checker it gave me

Download speed 67.41

Upload speed 17.02

Latency 250.50

A few minutes later it gave me 66.89 / 16.74 / 21.50

Today it gives me 68.14 / 13.96 / 45.00

My laptop is connected via the ethernet cable that came with the hub, and my wifi is turned off.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Ratings
pompey1898
Expert
Message 4 of 9

Hi @Fellwalker,

There are many posts on here saying that the BTW speed test is broken and giving false results. 

The Gurus sugest using

http://www.speedtest.net/
0 Ratings
Fellwalker
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 9

@pompey1898thanks, yes.  I have used that one before. Today it shows

Ping ms
Download Mbps
Upload Mbps

The reason I was looking at the BT one was because it said "troubleshooter".  The reason I went on chat with BT was to find out why it wasn't working, and what they could do about my broadband.  The ping or latency seems to be the most variable thing.

I've preferred to use the thinkbroadband one (their forums have been extremely helpful in previous years)

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest

which gave

thinkbroadband speedtest   and this eveningevening test results

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 9

your connection time is 4+ days have you been having drops in conenction or was that a manual reset 4 days ago?

your down speed is 74mb and the download speed vary as you would expect but all still very good on a 74mb conenction speed and should be fine for streaming.  are the devices which are having problems wireless connections?

try quiet line test  dial 17070 option 2  should be silent and best with corded phone

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Fellwalker
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 9

Thanks for your interest @imjolly

It was a manual reset.  The BT YouView box had stuck , yet again, this time with message signal lost, so I had started to investigate and had gone onto myBT to try and do a troubleshoot.  As in my initial post, that failed so I went on chat.  I was advised by the BT chat person to restart the hub.

I do not think from anything I have seen that it actually LOSES the connection.  I think the latency increases beyond what is manageable and that stops the iPlayer and web site responses.

It is wired through a devolo dLan 500 networking over powerline connection.  That shows a pretty consistent 160 Mbps or better connection.  It is a triple at the lounge end, also used by the TV and an old YouView box - but they are never using it at the same time.

The line is quiet.  Good job I bought a cheap wired phone and remembered where I had put it!

---------------

I've just had a quick look at the system log on the HomeHub, and every two minutes approx, there is an entry

eth1:IGMP join received for group 234.81.130.251 on interface eth1

I've read that IGMP is used by BTTV, which we do not have.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 9

Even though you don't have BT TV your hub still gets the IGMP braodcasts. This is perfectly normal. IIRC they will be in groups of 4.

0 Ratings
Fellwalker
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 9

@pippincp  no groups, just continuously every 2 minutes.

Sorry, this is obviously a side distraction.  

The outstanding issues are :

1. Why do we frequently get high latency / ping? Does that cause BBC iPlayer to freeze and Web sites to occasionally not respond immediately.

2.Why can't I get to the BT Troubleshooter and Fault Reporter, or to the BT Fault Checker?

3. Can anyone tell me what happened to my fault, as I have no way of checking it.  I have in the past been told when the BT Chat person wasn't helping that a fault had been found and fixed, once even that they had "pushed a reset to the line" - which clearly had never happened.  This time the BT chat person failed to explain why I couldn't do (2) above, but did actually give me a Fault Code (removed by a mod). But I can't find out what the fault was and whether it has been fixed.  

0 Ratings