cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 13

Trying to find out if our PCP has FTTC or not...

There is a cab there but I can't get a definite answer. The checker disagrees with BT/OR.
0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

Re: Trying to find out if our PCP has FTTC or not...

There would be vents on the outside, and you may hear noise from the fans.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 13

Also try this page for info https://www.telecom-tariffs.co.uk/codelook.htm

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 13

Can't be certain it's connected to that PCP etc. I know about BTw and Magenta databases, they claim yes.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 13

What exactly is your issue?

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 13

Well, the databases/websites claim there is FTTC. There is a cab near the PCP. However, OR engineers who have been to the PCP, state there isn't. BT customer services say there isn't. Along with someone with access on another forum. Apart from the OR engineers, they are all going off databases. I'd like to know from BT/OR what the reality is. Perhaps if they can get an FTTC qualified engineer to check the FTTC/PCP, unless they definitely know.
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 13

@SherlockPhones 

are you currently a BT Retail customer?  if so are you using your phone number or address (not post code) in the dslchecker - can you post results

you already covered this back in June 2023

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 13

If there was a copper pair cabinet that was recorded as having FTTC , but didn’t , then the volume of failed orders that resulted ( ISP’s ordering FTTC that couldn’t be supplied ) would pretty soon indicate this record ( data ) error , but more fundamentally , when FTTC is provided , it’s not a case of somebody simply ticking a box somewhere and hey presto availability is shown , there is far more to it than that , it’s a little ridiculous to think OR have went through the entire provision process of enabling a cabinet as having FTTC but not actually providing it .

It is possible to have distribution points , DP’s ( OH ) at the top of poles , in underground structures ( U , UR ) or even wall mounted ( E , External ) that are close to a copper cabinet but are not served from it , they are E/O ( exchange only ) DP’s , and they don’t route through the copper cabinet to the exchange , the addresses served from those E/O DP’s , would show no FTTC , even though near by DP’s ( and therefore nearby addresses) that are served via the cabinet would.

Post the DSL return for an address you think is showing FTTP available, could order it ( so the cabinet is not showing waiting list ) but should they order FTTC , the installation would fail , because the installer would conclude that their isn’t actually a FTTC cabinet associated with the copper cabinet.

In individual cases it’s most likely to be an addressing issues , if an ISP ( for example ) or a consumer for that matter , either gave an inaccurate address when ordering , ( entered the wrong address into the ordering portal ) …….so as an example, ‘Rose Cottage’ , there hundreds of ‘Rose Cottages’ , but say two are regularly mixed up , because the respective postcodes are ‘similar’ , AB1, 2NA , and AB2 1NA , using the wrong address would build the circuit to the wrong PCP/DP , if the installer went to the address that actually wanted service because they rang the consumer on their mobile , effectively ignoring the incorrect postcode on the job , they wouldn’t be able to complete the order , and if it happened the address was E/O , then it would be resolvable by rebuilding the order with the correct postcode 

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 13

I would think for starters, the only DB that matters is Openreach's. What do you see if you enter your address here?

FTTC is described as "Superfast Fibre Broadband". If that isn't listed then it probably doesn't exist. If it says it is available but local OR say it isn't, I'd try to raise that with OR either as a complaint or via their chat service.

There's some pic of various cabs here.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 13

Yes am a BT customer for PSTN/ADSL. Yes I've tried number/address/postcode. It doesn't make any difference, the results are the same. It claims VDSL available. There is an FTTC cab (hiding behind a hedge!), not where you would expect it. However, as stated there are big disagreements as to whether FTTC is in existence for that PCP. June was about bad ADSL E-side crackle. That problem is still there and hasn't been fixed, hence why I'm trying to find out whether FTTC is working as it would bypass the copper E-side and exchange ADSL kit.
0 Ratings