cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Trying to join, fibre available to both neighbours but not me

I'm looking to join BT but currently being told fibre is unavailable for the property, despite being available for the properties on either side, with no further details.

I've tried to glean information from other posts on the forum, but not really sure what the next step here is. I see lots of mentions of "ORDI" but I don't really know what that means, and the four people I've spoken with on the BT Tech Support team have similarly said "not heard of that".

The only message I've received on the phone from BT has been "this is entirely under OpenReach's control ... you need to speak with them".

On the availability checker I see both the neighbours have "Availability date: Available" but with different "FTTP Install Process" details. For the property in question, it's just blank.

House to one side:

43.png

House in question:

45.png

House on the other side:

47.png

Thanks in advance for any advice, and apologies for my ignorance!

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Trying to join, fibre available to both neighbours but not me

try phoning BT FTTP TEAM and see if they can help 08005874787

if FTTP busy then you will get redirected to CS so just hang up and try later

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

I don’t think it’s an ORDI problem that you have  ( that’s a mismatch between OR records and Royal Mail/Post Office records ) , the strange thing ( if your address is pretty much the same as No.43 and No.47 ,  yours being No.45) is that they both have ‘survey notes’ that say SDU Res, OH feed no anticipated issues, and that an ONT exists as they already have FTTP , yet there is no survey ‘record’ for No.45 , not even one that could signal an issue ( like line of sight issues, hoist required, pre install survey required   ) , but No.45 does say WBC FTTP is available, is there anything at all different about No.45 compared to your neighbours ?

Its almost like you address wasn’t surveyed, but if it’s in between two property’s that have been surveyed that seems unlikely, as already advised call BT FTTP team , or search the Openreach site for the formwize  ‘my neighbours can get FTTP but I cannot’ , that should get OR to investigate why your address doesn’t allow an ISP to order FTTP 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

> try phoning BT FTTP TEAM and see if they can help 08005874787

I did try that from the start. I picked the Tech Support option (maybe I should have picked a different option?) which got me to the Faults team. They basically said "nobody here will be able to find out more information, this is all controlled by Openreach" and then transferred me to Sales who insisted *I* should call Openreach. I tried that, but they basically have a recorded message outlining all the links on their website. I should say I did also fill in the form on https://www.openreach.com/forms/fibre-broadband-availability---customer-form but no reply as yet.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

> is there anything at all different about No.45 compared to your neighbours ?

Hopefully not ... maybe they know something I don't. Given that one of the neighbours joins the house (semi-detached), I somewhat doubt it.

> Its almost like you address wasn’t surveyed, but if it’s in between two property’s that have been surveyed that seems unlikely

Would the survey require property access? We don't (yet) own the property, and it's quite possible the previous owner wouldn't let anyone in.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

Asking if there is anything different about this property  is to check, for example if No45 were physically different , like it’s now glass fronted and no way of attaching a wire to it  , if it is one half of a pair of ‘traditional’ semis then it almost certainly should show the same survey note as the property it’s attached to , it’s often the case when someone complains that the property cannot get service , something out of the ordinary comes up , it’s best to check it’s a regular property .
The initial survey is area wide, a surveyor visits the area but doesn’t need to enter anyones property, and indicates how every property in the area to be covered  will be served , usually its the same method as the existing copper service, so if its overhead from a telegraph pole , FTTP will almost certainly also be overhead  but can highlight any potential problems, like large trees in the way , building extensions built that restrict ladder access etc, 

The  survey note is  SDU ( single dwelling unit ) Residential, Overhead feed ( telegraph pole ) no anticipated issues , so no large trees in way , ladder access to the existing bracket on the house wall available etc , ….if the surveyor made note of the houses either side it’s unlikely the didn’t also survey the house in question, but it’s possible when the data was transferred from the survey something was missed off, that’s why it’s Openreach that will need to check and possibly correct any omission before ISP can raise an order.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

Thanks for that detail, much appreciated. I guess I'll just have to cross my fingers that Openreach reads & responds to that form.

0 Ratings