Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
bdcote
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 23

Two missed engineer visits, and no end in sight

On 11th March I moved house, and having been happy with the service I'd received from BT at my previous property I upgraded my BT package, adding in a YouView box and 80MB/s BT Infinity unlimited 2.

Immediately I noticed that the Internet speeds were poor - around 4-15Mb/s and with dropouts several times a day, even plugged directly into the router. After speaking with online chat a few times, a fault was raised on 16th March. After the fault fix deadline passed without me hearing anything, I got back in touch with chat and was told that an engineer had visited but I wasn't in - not surprising given I work during the week and no one had told me an engineer was visiting.

A bit frustrated, I booked an engineer visit for March 30th, had it confirmed three times via chat and phone calls, emphasised that I was specifically taking time off work for this and booked a half-day off work. The scheduled appointment slot came and passed without anyone visiting or informing me that no one would be visiting. I was furious and couldn't believe that something like this could happen with a firm as big as BT. I spoke to someone on the phone and they weren't very apologetic and seemed to have little idea of the status of my fault or whether someone should have visited. Immediately after this I raised a complaint.

The complaints team said that I would have to make myself available during a weekday slot for a second engineer visit. I explained how reluctant I was to do this and how annoying it is to take more holiday time as I've already used a lot of my holiday allowance for things related to my home move. I was told not to worry, as someone from complaints and someone from level 2 were both personally following my fault. Feeling I had no other option, my girlfriend booked an afternoon off work and the appointment was booked for yesterday (Friday 15th). The day before the appointment I had a phone call with complaints in which I confirmed everything was still going to plan.

Again no engineer turned up. I emailed complaints demanding that this be escalated and am waiting for a reply. To rub salt in, this morning in a pre-scheduled time slot that I had been told was with complaints, I received a phone call from level 2, saying that they'd need to schedule an engineer visit! They claimed to have no idea that an engineer was ever even booked for yesterday!

Ongoing through all of this has been a fairly constant stream of phone calls and voicemails from level 2, who will tell me things like "an engineer tried to visit but you weren't in" or "an engineer visited outside of the property and confirmed that there was/wasn't a fault with the exchange" or "we need to book an engineer visit/we've booked an engineer visit for tomorrow between 8am-1pm". Each person seemingly has no idea what has gone on previously, and it is clear that no one is willing to take ownership of this surely simple task to get it completed.

I feel like I'm going round in circles here and the service I've received so far has been unbelievably frustrating and rude. This should be a bread-and-butter fault for BT and I can't believe it's now in its second month when I've put so much effort and expense into making myself available. Please help me!

0 Ratings
22 REPLIES 22
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 23

Re: Two missed engineer visits, and no end in sight

Can you run this checker and post back a screen shot of the results. Make sure you delete your phone number before posting.

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

Can you use this speed tester then carry out the further diagnostics and post back a screen shot of all the results including your IP profile for up and down. This test must be done with a wired connection.

http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/
if you have a Homehub 5 can you also post the stats from 1-12 by logging onto the homehub management pages then troubleshooting > helpdesk. http://bthomehub.home/
bdcote
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 23

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.

I just can't get a result for the "further diagnostics" test - it tells me I'm not logged in as the right user or that the browser session has timed out, and then redirects me to the third test. I tried restarting my router, using different browsers, incognito mode etc, but no luck. Is this enough information for you, or is there something I can do to get the further diagnostics to run?

Availability.gifHelpdesk.gifSpeed Test.gif

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 23

Ouch, that is an extremely impacted line. Engineer definitely required if connected to the test socket.

bdcote
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 23

Yep it's not pretty! I managed to get results out of the Further Diagnostics test when connected to the test socket. My main reason for posting here is that I'm thoroughly unhappy with the service I've received so far from customer services and complaints, so I'm looking for a bit of help from someone who can escalate things for me. No one has disputed that I have a problem, but getting it resolved is what's giving me nightmares!

One thing that confuses me - these poor speeds in the test socket suggest that the problem is outside of my property, yet if I believe what I'm told then at least three engineers have confirmed that there is no problem with the exchange.

Further Diagnostic.gif

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 23

Can you confirm that the Hub is connected to the test socket via a microfilter?

bdcote
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 23

That's correct. I've even tried two different microfilters.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 23

Hmm, if you do a quiet line test (dial 17070 and select option 2) with a landline phone connected directly to the test socket, do you get any noise?

bdcote
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 23

Afraid I don't have a phone so I can't try that one out.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 23

You can buy a corded phone for Argos for £5 possibly cheaper. We need this to test to see if there's any noise on the line.

0 Ratings