cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

UK's worst broadband

After getting well and truly sick of BT saying 'there is nothing wrong our end' when failing miserabely to resolve the uk's worst broadband ever, I feel this statement really means 'we are still stealing a lot of money out of your bank account and giving you next to nothing in return despite knowing we are breaking our contract'. Our BB keeps dropping every few minutes, can barely stream anything of which in this day and age is a crime given the legitimate streaming services we pay a lot of money for. Yesterday I did a speed test getting 0.7mb but they are charging me for 50mb (nothing wrong our end then eh). After several phone calls and endless tech walkthroughs they literally said there is nothing more they can do and I have their 'refuse' package until July 2019. It sickens me to the core. We have brand new laptops and phones etc and they ALL drop BB frequently (but nothing wrong our end). They even suggested putting a BB signal booster between the BB router and our laptops of which is approximately 5 feet away in direct view? They even suggested hard wiring our laptops so that we have ethernet cables lying all over the living room floor? They make my bloody blood boil and cannot stomach the name BT never mind all the BS they spout. Until the day I draw my last breath I will NEVER EVER have their Fisher price equipment in my house again (no offence Fisher price at least your stuff bloody worked!)

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 8

Re: UK's worst broadband

Are you sure it is the BB dropping and not just the wireless? I know you don't want cables every where but does it all work when hardwired?
(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 8

@stevenlintern

Welcome to this user forum.

You mentioned 50Mbs, so I assume you have fibre broadband?

In order to find out what services and speed range you should be getting, please enter your phone number into this form.
Broadband availability checker

Please remember to edit out your phone number before you post the results.

If its a smart home hub you have.

Try turning Smart Setup off, as that causes a lot of problems.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44328/~/switching-smart-setup-on-and-off-on-the-bt-ho...

0 Ratings
asherUK
Beginner
Message 4 of 8

The gauranteed BB speed is via a wired connection so firstly plug one of your laptops into the hub with an ethernet cable and run a speedtest to ensure you are getting your minimum on a wired connection (As this is how BT will test your line, they don't test your line on a wireless connection).

If your BB speed on a wired connection is correct which I imagine it to be if they have already tested this then you need to look at location of your hub is it around a lot of other electrical devices? Is it in a cupboard? Are there any walls between the hub and the devices you generally use?

The best way to test this is to unplug all electrical devices in your house, reset the hub and turn the hub and 1 wireless device on, check the speed and you should be able to see the correct speeds, reintroduce electrical devices and find out which one is causing interference, if there is any.

It may just be the case of buying a decent third party hub and using that if you only use wireless.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

It all works when hardwired HOWEVER my own laptop I have had for 3 years or so and before the last BT contract I was having the superfast BB and achieved 113mb on my phone alone and wirelessly. All was well with the world until about 6 months ago. There are no new trees growing through my foundations, no new double glazing, no house extensions etc, in fact everything is identical to when the damned thing DID work. I have had a new smart hub I have split the signal between 4g/5g etc and gone through umpteen different tech setups....they have simply given up.

Thank you for all of your replies but have tried just about everything, hardwiring obviously works but the wireless is woeful with the finger pointed squarely at the router.....or in the words of BT 'could it be a fault with yout 3 laptops, 3 mobile phones, your netflix etc!!!!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 8

Have you checked the phone line to see if there is any noise on the line?

Dial 17070 and select option 2, there should be no noise between the announcements.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
asherUK
Beginner
Message 7 of 8

As you are getting the connection through on a wired connection but your hub isn't transmitting wireless to the same standard I would first look at interference, if your happy that there isn't any I would save some trouble and just invest in a good third party hub, the BT hubs are OK but not the greatest.

0 Ratings
Gary_C
Contributor
Message 8 of 8

its amazing how embedded the internet is into our every day lives, so I feel your pain.

However, 

So hardwired, you get good speed ?, so your modem is synching with the cabinet at the top of the road and the actual 'broadband' bit is actually working ok ?

Then the problem is with wifi I take it ? wifi is a total pain as its effected by so many things.

Might be the router, or interference. I had lots of problems with wifi and conflicts so I have actually hardwired as much as I can to leave the wifi for things that need it.

Might be worth borrowing a neighbours/friends BT router if you can (as they all have the same login) and see if your wifi improves.

There are some android apps that allow you to see graphically, other wifi signal in the area, might be able to choose a clearer channel.

Is the 2.4ghz as bad as the 5ghz ?, does the 5ghz work ok in the same room, do you ever get an ok signal ?

Do you have the old hub, try that.

I have a HH5 that lost its wifi every time the sun came out and it got a little hotter, now replaced with a third party router, so they can fail.

0 Ratings