cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 31 of 39

Re: ULTRA Slow BT Infinity Speed on all Laptops Whenever We Switch on our new Hitachi Smart TV

Try it with the vision box turned off and disconnected so that the only thing connected to the Homehub is the Smart TV.

Once you have done that check to see how the "Smart" side of the TV performs.

If it stll performs badly, unplug the TV and disconnected it from the Homehub then connect a Laptop by Ethernet cable and see how that performs.

0 Ratings
david2alp
Aspiring Contributor
Message 32 of 39

Re: ULTRA Slow BT Infinity Speed on all Laptops Whenever We Switch on our new Hitachi Smart TV

Okay so I rang the number for tech help at Argos regarding the Smart TV.. The guy there said that there must be a problem with my Internet Connection,  as I had done an internet speed test on the Hitachi Smart TV, and it only came up with 1024 kbt/z... He told me to ring BT... 

So I then rang BT, and spoke to some hopelessly inept Indian guy in an Indian call centre.  I didn't understand what he was saying -- and he certainly didn't understand what i was saying -- but we finally managed to figure out (between us) that the internet was working!!!!!!!!!!??????

He ran an internet test on my telephone line, whilst I waited, and told me that we were getting between 40 and 70 meg into the house, and he asked me were my two laptops working okay??? I answered "yes", and so he said "Well then -- its a problem with your Smart TV settings... Its not a problem with broadband Infinity, because that's working fine..."

So now I'm sitting here ready to tear my hair out!!!!!!  

I think this smart TV uses TOO much internet power to allow one to use a Smart TV at the same time!  So I think we shall have to only use the laptops.... Then switch over and only use the Smart TV.. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 33 of 39

I would get back onto Argos and tell them there is not a problem with your Internet  and in any event how did he come to that conclusion by running a speed test on an item that is suspected as being faulty. Did he give an explanation how the speed test is OK on everything else?

If you have done everything regarding how to connect things as has been suggested and the problem is still there, it would in my opinion point to a problem with the TV.

To satisfy your mind, ae you able to try and connect it at a friend or relatives house and see how it gets on. If it still won't work as it should, that will confirm the fault is with the TV.

0 Ratings
gt94sss2
Aspiring Expert
Message 34 of 39

Agree, given your experience that the fault is likely to be the TV and not with your internet connection.

Out of interest, have you turned off smart set-up on your HomeHub? If not, I would...

I think this smart TV uses TOO much internet power to allow one to use a Smart TV at the same time!

Not possible given the infinity connection speeds you are reporting

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 35 of 39

No smart set up on HH3

0 Ratings
david2alp
Aspiring Contributor
Message 36 of 39

The Smart Set Up on the Home Hub?????  No idea what that means??????

-------------------------

Anyway!  

I can't help but think it must be something that I've done wrong with the Smart TV. ??????  I've done everything that you guys have said, (and you've all been really helpful).  Thank God for this forum!

A zillion things have been through my mind!  Such as the following:

1 - perhaps we need a new BT Home Hub?  Do we have the latest model??  See photo's on previous post.  (and yet if it were the BT Home Hub - then surely our laptops would not work)

2 - Perhaps it is the long white Openreach cable causing the trouble?  Its EVER so long! It starts in the hallway, next to the landline, and then it trails into the lounge, and then goes to the TV, so its about 10 metre's long.  I am wondering if that's the problem?  Maybe its too long or something?  And its losing "megs"  ??

3 - Perhaps I didn't use the right "settings" on the Smart TV ?? When I go to "Menu" and then "Settings" maybe there was something I missed???  Maybe it all needs doing again???  

Since I typed the above I rang Hitachi helpline up again... I went through everything, and i was so MAD that I said "I think its time I sent this TV back and got my money back -- because BT say that there is 70meg coming into this house!!!!!".. Anyway, he said he would send me a "Software Update Dongle" that holds 2 meg ??????  or something??  and he has given me a long reference number too... So it is now listed as an official "Fault"... Which is good!!   I feel as at last something is being done!!  he also asked me where we bought the TV from, and on what date,  (it was January 14th)...

Anyway this Software Update thing will apparently restore the TV back to its factory settings?????  No idea what this all means???  

I presume it will arrive via post on Monday or Tuesday... He said it would be handy to keep on a keyring??  Whatever is he talking about??????]

If it doesn't work then I'm DEFINITELY taking this TV back to ARGOS and getting a new one!  Because I've had this hassle since January 14th -- and I'm not prepared to tolerate the mess in the house any longer!!  There are wires and things all over the place!  

0 Ratings
Highlighted
ChrisFWood
Aspiring Contributor
Message 37 of 39

When you got the diagnostics done by BT, was the TV plugged in and on?

If so it could be an issue at the datalink, network or transport layer rather than the physical layer that everybody seems to be focusing on.

What bothers me is the issue only shows up when you actually plug the cable in, not while the cable is say just next to the Ethernet port on the TV.  Any RFI would be there unless it is coming directly from the Ethernet port of the TV down the cable.

It could be the home hub and the TV are trying to auto detect the speed and keep updating it and the TV is resending packets etc so the home hub just can't cope the resulting traffic.  Try switching off auto detect network speed in the TV settings, let the Home Hub handle it.

The other thing is it just the wifi dropping out, have your tried TV & laptop via eithernet do you get the same issue?

If it was myself I would put a switch between the TV and the Home Hub duplicate the TV port to another port on the switch and run wireshark to see what is going on, on the network.  But that is beyond the average home users knowledge / skill set.

Maybe while the TV is not connected to the Home Hub, get a command prompt (windows key + R then run cmd) and type "ping -t 192.168.0.1" (or what Home Hub IP address is, "ipconfig" at the command prompt the IP listed as default gateway) then see what happens to the output after you connect the TV to the network.  If you get errors or increase in response time then you have an issue on the LAN not the WAN. 

Newer Home Hub and/or firmware update on the TV might fix it, if it is a LAN issue.

0 Ratings
david2alp
Aspiring Contributor
Message 38 of 39

Thanks Chris Wood... I tried what you said, and switched off the Auto ADN, but it has not helped in the slightest.  I still only have the tiniest bit of Broadband showing on the Hitachi TV whenever I do a speed test.

In the week I rang Argos. Told them the situation.  Told them the dongle they sent me (which updated the TV) had also not worked.

The Technical Help team have come to the end of suggestions!  They gave me a Fault Number and said I am to go back to Argos with this fault number, and either get a replacement TV, or get a refund.  They are saying its the TV at fault, and that this TV is faulty. 

I have since noticed in the Argos website that the TV has come down in price to £328.00 -- so I might take it back to Argos and get my £378- back, and then go to another Argos store and buy it again -- and then save £50 ?? 

(Only trouble is -- this whole situation has put me off Hitachi !  )

Plus there are a couple of 60 inch NON-Smart TV's around that are pretty cheap!!!  I mean - after all - apart from YouTube and Netflix, what else does a Smart TV offer one in the UK ??? Not much really!

0 Ratings
david2alp
Aspiring Contributor
Message 39 of 39

Well!  The moral of this long story is -- do not buy a Hitachi Smart TV... Because if you do - Heaven help you!  Its going back tomorrow, and I'm buying a NON Smart TV... I am just getting a regular TV because I am not going through all of this again!

0 Ratings