cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

UNFINDABLE ISSUE - MANY ENGINEERS - UPLOAD NOW FINE DOWNLOAD STILL SLOW - TERRIBLE PACKET LOSS

Hi,

I have a massive issue with my internet connection at the moment and no engineers / BT seem to have any idea how to solve it. Around a month ago almost randomly speeds of 70 down 18 up went to 30 down 18 up. I was also getting terrible packet loss whilst gaming - north of 20%. Had multiple engineers who claimed to know where the issue was. They changed my whole wiring outside as they said it had worn down and changed my noise ratio to the right setting. They did many tests and showed me that the speed coming into the house was as expected and also showed me that connecting directly to the broadband from the box was also getting the right speeds. The minute I plugged it into my router however speeds during speed test normally shoot up to 50/60 and then slowly fall to anywhere between 10 and 30. I am able to stream and use the internet but it is IMPOSSIBLE to game still with huge packet loss. It has got to the point where I may have to change providers as no one can find the fault. I have also tested the gaming set up on a hotspot and all issues go away meaning it has to be the broadband from my home. Also I have been sent a brand new router and connected ONLY the gaming console and the problem still persisted. It also seems that my upload speed is unaffected and is constantly around 18 mbps. Any help would be massively appreciated as I am completely out of luck.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: UNFINDABLE ISSUE - MANY ENGINEERS - UPLOAD NOW FINE DOWNLOAD STILL SLOW - TERRIBLE PACKET LOSS

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

Re: UNFINDABLE ISSUE - MANY ENGINEERS - UPLOAD NOW FINE DOWNLOAD STILL SLOW - TERRIBLE PACKET LOSS

Unfortunately it is already off!

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

Screenshot 2021-03-13 at 20.11.20.pngPing plotter results to google. Hope this helps... have no idea 

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

There is no packet loss in that trace.

Understanding traces is the key. If the destination reports packet loss then you look backwards to try to find out where it occurs. Your destiation shows 0 packet loss. How could the packets get there if they were lost on the way?

What your trace does show is that 2 routers are configured to refuse ICMP requests (100%) and the others are quite rightly are treating them as low priority and concentrating on what they are supposed to do, forward the traffic.

Message 6 of 8

Fair enough. Thanks for the help! Any idea at all then why when i try and play games with large servers (for example warzone with over 150 players) I get packet loss of up to 20% varying and then generally falling to zero as the lobby gets smaller. Have done all mentioned above.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

So on a large lobby packet loss is 20% and reduces as the lobby gets smaller. That would point to the Warzone (or P2P) server being overloaded.

Start pingplotter to your gaming destination server before you start playing, it will show where the problem is most likely to be.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

I would expect that however it is only my local console that is getting such high packet loss. I will run ping plotter on that gaming server now (if i can find it) and post results here.

0 Ratings