Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tanchel
Beginner
Message 1 of 19

USO - how to request a USO compliant connection

Go to solution

Unfortunatly our house is one of those that is over 1 km from the nearest cabinet and although we are on fibre we are lucky to get 9mbs down and 1 mb up.  I have been viewing,  with increasing anticipation, all the Ofcom web pages about the forthcoming USO (31st December 2019). Does anyone know how this will work. Who would you request the service from, your current ISP?

The houses around me are all older folk and I am not sure they will be interested in requesting internet connections, so the benefit of aggregation may not be available. I cannot see how Openreach will ever improve my link, the USO, in my case, is not worth the paper it's printed on...

0 Ratings
18 REPLIES 18
Techwizz
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 19

Re: USO - how to request a USO compliant connection

Go to solution

Hi @tanchel,

If you can get speeds of over 10 Mb using an alternative technology e.g. 4G, then you're already covered by the USO. Even so, you may not be getting the speed you should on VDSL. Can you post the result of your phone number from here: http://dslchecker.bt.com. Also, can you post the line stats from your router?

tanchel
Beginner
Message 3 of 19

Go to solution

BTAdslChecker.jpg

I have a Draytek Vigor 130 modem in front of an Amplifi HD mesh router and I have not worked out how to get any line statistics. However the Ofcom app gives :-

Download speed 9.29 Mb/s

Upload speed 1.17 Mb/s

Data delay 19ms

Packet loss 0.00%

Jitter 8ms

Web browsing 156 ms 

0 Ratings
Techwizz
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 19

Go to solution
I'm not sure if Ofcom use the downstream handback threshold to determine whether the line's meeting the USO or not, but if they are, then unless an infill cabinet or FTTP is constructed, you will be covered by another technology.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
tanchel
Beginner
Message 5 of 19

Go to solution

I am interested in FTTP on Demand - it says it is available, yet at the bottom it says FTTP is not.

Do you know where to enquire about a FTTP on demand connection?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 19

Go to solution

@tanchel wrote:

I am interested in FTTP on Demand - it says it is available, yet at the bottom it says FTTP is not.

Do you know where to enquire about a FTTP on demand connection?

Its a very expensive BT Business only option.

FTTP on demand cost
Prices for 2018

0 Ratings
tanchel
Beginner
Message 7 of 19

Go to solution

I would still like to see what the cost will be. I cannot find a provider for my area, the hyperlink on the Openreach webiste  doesn't link to anything. Probably there isn't one..

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 19

Go to solution

@Keith_Beddoe  has posted price list but it currently is for business only - unless you upgrade to business with all extra cost

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Techwizz
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 19

Go to solution

@imjolly, or you go with a different ISP like Cerberus.

0 Ratings
iniltous
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 19

Go to solution

BT Consumer do not 'sell' FTTPod even though it is an Openreach product, so as already stated you would have to approach an ISP that does 'sell' FTTPod, for initial enquirys that ISP can ask OR for a desk top survey , these are 'free' but tend to be worse case senario prices , so potentially expect 10's of thousands of ££'s, especially if the existing NGA aggregation  node is some distance away from your home, ( the FTTPod 'fibre' doesn't come from the fibre cabinet you get your FTTC service from , but the Agg node which could be closer or further away, you are very unlikely to know where it is)
If you decide to proceed based on that ball park estimate, AFAIK , it's a £300 non returnable fee to get a bespoke 'contractual' estimate , where OR actually visit to do a proper survey and give you the exact cost, (via the ISP, you pay the ISP not OR) ....if you still proceed , the £300 is subtracted from the construction costs, if you cancel at this point you don't get your £300 back as OR have spend time and money giving you the costing, they charge the ISP who will keep your £300