Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
tanchel
Beginner
Message 11 of 19

Re: USO - how to request a USO compliant connection

Go to solution
Fantastically awkward.... oh well, may be it will be easier to go for satellite or 4G with an external antenna.

Thanks to everybody for answering my questions.

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 12 of 19

Go to solution

5G surely.

0 Ratings
Techwizz
Aspiring Expert
Message 13 of 19

Go to solution
@pippincp, 5G isn't publicly available yet, even in the cities.
0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 14 of 19

Go to solution

@Techwizz wrote:
@pippincp, 5G isn't publicly available yet, even in the cities.

I know, neither is the USO so 5G is in context of the OP.

Roz
Beginner
Message 15 of 19

Go to solution

Our landline broadband is well under 2Mbps due to distance from the exchange.  Our area is apparently covered by 4G (but in reality service is very patchy).  If I requested a connection under the USO would my request be rejected because of 4G coverage?  

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 16 of 19

Go to solution

@Roz At present you are already covered by the current USO as it only refers to telephone lines. For anything else wait until next year and if other tech covers your area (5G may well be available by then) you'll again be covered.

0 Ratings
Roz
Beginner
Message 17 of 19

Go to solution

Thanks for your very quick reply but I don’t think I understand how I am covered by the current USO?  We are not included in any planned deployments hence I have been waiting for the OFCOM statement for the new USO that will come into play next year.  Apologies if I am being dense!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 18 of 19

Go to solution

There is no USO currently.

0 Ratings
-Richie-
Expert
Message 19 of 19

Go to solution

Ofcom Set March 2020 Launch for 10Mbps UK Broadband USO

10Mbps USO Specification

* A minimum download “sync” speed of at least 10Mbps (Megabits per second).

* A minimum upload “sync” speed of at least 1Mbps.

* A medium response time with end-to-end latency of no more than 200ms for speech applications (rules out Satellite).

* A maximum sharing between customers (contention ratio) of 50:1.

* A minimum data allowance of 100GB.

* A technology neutrality design (can be delivered via a mix of fibre based and / or wireless solutions).

* BT/KCOM will have 30 days to make an assessment about whether or not a consumer is eligible for the USO after request.

* BT must deliver every USO connection as quickly as possible and deliver at least 80% of connections within 12 months, 95% within 18 months, and 99% within 24 months of the confirmed USO order (this should help to manage the expected rush of early requests). KCOM must deliver a USO connection as quickly as possible and no later than 12 months after someone places their order, unless there are exceptional circumstances that make it more difficult.

* The USO must adopt uniform pricing (i.e. cost the same no matter where you live), with a maximum cap of £45 inc. VAT a month. People who only have access to a service priced over £45 per month will also have the right to request a USO connection.

* The UK Government stipulated in its legislation (Digital Economy Act 2017) that the definition of the USO speed should be reviewed when at least 75% of premises in the UK subscribe to a broadband service that provides a download speed of at least 30Mbps. This is likely to be a fair few years away.

0 Ratings