cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
saltwafers
Aspiring Contributor
Message 11 of 23

Re: UlLTRAFAST G.FAST: Good constant SYNC speed, but inconsistent low THROUGHPUT speed

When I was up for renewal, I was told that Ultrafast 1 and 2 were already available in my area. That was early January. Costs £54.99 for Ultrafast 1 and £59.99 for Ultrafast 2.

The other thing that i'm concerned about is that BT should make it clear that Ultrafast comes in 2 forms, either FTTP or G.Fast. They don't make this clear !

What is the truth about Ultrafast availability? Testing??????

0 Ratings
Liam_
Expert
Message 12 of 23

Re: UlLTRAFAST G.FAST: Good constant SYNC speed, but inconsistent low THROUGHPUT speed

Message 13 of 23

Hi @saltwafers,

You can find some more information about how best to test your speeds on BT Ultrafast here - What is BT's Ultrafast Fibre Broadband Speed Guarantee?

Thanks

PaddyB

conrad
Recognised Expert
Message 14 of 23

@PaddyB wrote:

Hi @saltwafers,

You can find some more information about BT Ultrafast here - What is BT's Ultrafast Fibre Broadband Speed Guarantee?

Thanks

PaddyB

@PaddyB  That's what is causing confusion as Ultrafast is FTTP a fibre product  or G.Fast which is a copper line .  Is a G.Fast product included in the Speed Guarantee being a non-fibre product.

BT should make it crystal clear if G.Fast is included under the misleading  " Ultrafast Fibre " products and associated guarantees.

Message 15 of 23

Hi @conrad,

I can understand the confusion. @SeanD has created a sticky post BT Ultrafast fibre broadband that better explains the service.

Ultrafast fibre Broadband delivers ultrafast download speeds of over 100Mb and can be provided using two different technologies G.Fast on FTTC and Fibre To The Premises (FTTP). 

I hope that helps?

Thanks

Paddyb

Highlighted
Sage
Sage
Message 16 of 23

@conrad wrote:

@PaddyB  That's what is causing confusion as Ultrafast is FTTP a fibre product  or G.Fast which is a copper line .  Is a G.Fast product included in the Speed Guarantee being a non-fibre product.

BT should make it crystal clear if G.Fast is included under the misleading  " Ultrafast Fibre " products and associated guarantees.

There should be no confusion. Ultrafast is the product not the means of delivering it.

The Ultrafast guarantee is 100Mbps minimum no matter which delivery method is used.

saltwafers
Aspiring Contributor
Message 17 of 23

Thanks @PaddyB

I'm aware of the BT Speed Test. However, this only measures the speed to the router. My main issue is Throughput which is very inconsistent. Aside from that, I've also experienced more frequent uptime resets than i ever had with Infinity 2. I'm pushing for BT to give me a replacement ultrafast smarthub.

I am aware of the Ultrafast Speed Guarantee which is 100 MBps... But this is questionable because the guaranteed speed is the same for the two Ultrafast products (1 and 2). The speed guarantee for Ultrafast 2 should be higher than Ultrafast 1, don't you think?

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 18 of 23

It doesn't matter what I think, it is the guarantee given by Openreach to the ISP.

Ever thought of getting your own router rather than rely on ISP junk?

0 Ratings
saltwafers
Aspiring Contributor
Message 19 of 23

In general, i think the BT Smarthub is fine. I’ve been using them for years with no issues. But maybe i just got a dud one, or maybe just having Ultrafast teething / testing problems. Isn't that right @PaddyB ?

I believe there is still not a lot of G.fast routers available, and even if there are, they have not been tested for use in BT G.fast.

Unless you have any recommendations @pippincp, though i presume they cost an arm and a leg.

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 20 of 23

I'd probibly go for a TP-Link Archer VR600 or the VR900.

0 Ratings