cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 21 of 29

Re: Ultra fast broadband

Highly unlikely. Cable fibre was initially rolled out around 20 years ago and has been updated over the years. Are you sure they aren't on cable? 

0 Ratings
Message 22 of 29

There is no cable in our street. Ive done a quick check with Virgin TV which confirms no service available for those adresses

0 Ratings
Message 23 of 29

Post an image from the checker for one of the houses that can get 1Gb WBC FTTP,  and indicate how far away from it you are  ( in metres )  and if on the same side of the street , and built at the same time , by the same developer.

The contractor won’t be working on behalf  of Sky , they are not in the network building business and prefer to be a client of others that do provide them ( like Openreach )

A quick look at the contractor website shows that they do some work on behalf of OR and quote BDUK projects , these can be complicated builds , because their aim is to make ‘Superfast’ speeds ( taken to be 30Mb or better , until Ultrafast 100Mb ) to those that currently don’t get that , so it’s possible that they will provide connection  to bring 30Mb speeds to those below , but not those that already get 30Mb plus….it gets complicated if BDUK fund some work and OR fund the remainder as a commercial contract , the image posted from the checker for the OP phone number shows a 30Mb+ observed speed from their current service.

0 Ratings
Message 24 of 29

If your house was built post 2000 then it’ll be part of Openreaches Retro Fit Project.

The first cluster of homes will most likely be on a different PON to the one your house will be on. A PON will either be a Small Node, 32 Fibres (Openreach only use a maximum 30 though).

Medium Node, 64 Fibres, only a maximum of 60 used and a Large Node, 128 Fibres and only a max of 120 are used.

Openreach prefer not to use Large Nodes and they’ll not necessarily use all 30 Fibres on a PON, I’ve seen as few as a dozen used on single PON’s for various reasons.

Once a PON is Built and Commissioned then they’ll start accepting orders from it immediately. A bit like the Builder/Developer of your Estate did, they’ll sell houses as soon as they’re built and not wait until the whole Estate is finished first.

As you say Sky claim to be able to provide you 500Mbps. So either the PON that your NAD Key is associated with is Built/Commissioned and BT Consumer haven’t yet got the Backhaul Infrastructure in place to accept Orders, although that would be extremely unlikely or Sky are advising you wrong.

0 Ratings
Message 25 of 29

My phone tells me the image is to big to be posted but house number 8 in our street has two options. Ultrafast 1gbps or superfast  at 85mbps. It is about 70 metres from my house and on the same side of the street.

0 Ratings
Message 26 of 29

My house was completed in 1998 as part of the development. The houses with the UFB were built the year before

0 Ratings
Message 27 of 29

VDSL should never show greater than 80Mb as that’s as fast as it goes ( the Openreach version ).

If Sky are offering 500Mb now , for your address , when the BTw checker doesn’t show it as available at a wholesale level  , then either Sky have made an error , and any order will fail, or they are aware of the construction work taking place and will take an order and basically sit on it until availability is confirmed and then progress the order …it’s unlikely that Sky have the necessary cable links and no other ISP does , hence Sky available but no one else , but that wouldn’t explain why the BTw shows no WBC FTTP anyway.

As you posted an image for your own address , presumably you could use whatever method again to show the details for No.8 ( one of the houses  in your street that does have FTTP )

0 Ratings
Message 28 of 29

1998. Could be part of the Rural Build or Fibre Cities Build then.

Difficult to say really. Openreach have multiple FTTP Build Projects on going.

1. Fibre Cities

2. Retro Fit Sites Build, properties built post the year 2000. 

3. Rural Build Project. Rural doesn’t always necessarily mean Rural as in a leafy little Hamlet or Remote Farm House. I know of Towns of 20,000+ THP that are on the Rural Build Project.

4. CFP’s. Community Funded Projects. This can be as little as a few THP and over 100.

Also anyone who was promised G.Fast before the plug was pulled on it they’re giving them FTTP as well.

0 Ratings
Message 29 of 29

Ive asked why i cant get the same speed as those houses via the openreach website so I'll get an answer soon. Ive also asked what Cirtec were laying cables for.

As for Sky, ive checked again and I now dont have the option of high speed. 

0 Ratings