cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ben57
Beginner
Message 1 of 15

Ultra fast broadband

I have been offered ultra fast broadband from BT for the same price as my current package.

I asked how it is delivered and they said FTTP, if I am not mistaken then why do I need an existing phone line as it is no longer FTTC.

They keep saying I need a phone line for this but I disagree, can anybody help

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Sage
Sage
Message 2 of 15

Re: Ultra fast broadband

Ultrafast can be delivered by FTTP or G.Fast to find out which you would be getting enter your number HERE and post the result.

If you don't have a phone number use the address checker.

0 Ratings
brookheather
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 15

You don't have to use the phone line if you don't want to - there are other providers who will sell broadband-only FTTP which may be a bit cheaper.

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 4 of 15

@brookheather name one. It might also be wise to find out if the OP is in an FTTP or G.Fast area first.

0 Ratings
brookheather
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 15

@pippincp OP has already stated FTTP.  Zen offer broadband-only packages:

Unlimited Full Fibre 3 (150Mbps / 27Mbps) (Broadband Only)

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 6 of 15

Is that more or less  than the OP's package?

0 Ratings
Ben57
Beginner
Message 7 of 15

Thanks for all the answers, but I am still s little unsure, will fibre broadband work FTTP without a phone line being used, I say yes but BT keep telling me it part of the installation , I think there wrong and it’s more about losing the monthly line rental fee
0 Ratings
iniltous
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 15

Hopefully you are not naive enough to assume that if a company charges ( for example ) £20/ month ‘line rental’ , and line and broadband together for £25 then by not having a ‘line’ and only broadband then you will pay £5’, it doesn’t work like that.
FTTP  ‘broadband’ will work without a ‘phone line’ , if by that you mean a metallic (copper) pair of wires back to the exchange , but if a provider chooses a pricing structure that either includes ‘line rental’ indicating a charge for the medium ( copper or fibre) that the service is delivered over and a charge for the internet access ( broadband ) and says that is £25 ( for example ) then it’s up you to either use that provider or chose someone else who may use a different pricing structure.
It would seem odd to me , if cost was a major factor in deciding which provider to use , that the choice was between a provider that charges £25 for broadband only ‘ no need for landline’ , or a provider that charges £25 for line rental and identical broadband, that the provider that states ‘no need for landline’ is in any way providing better value.

If you don’t want a phone service at all, don’t plug in a phone , if you don’t want even 50v DC in the copper wires, then ask for your included phone service to be delivered via ‘Fibre Voice Access’ ( FVA)  over the fibre ( again  , dont want phone service,  don’t plug in a phone ) but don’t expect OR to remove your existing copper pair ( after all you may move out and someone else moving in wants to use a provider that uses copper pairs ) and don’t expect FTTP with FVA to be a different price to FTTP with legacy phone line, and even if eventually providers offer stand alone broadband over FTTP for it to be any cheaper than broadband and phone, for example look at Virgin , when have offered stand-alone broadband for years and it’s prices  for that are near enough identical to the combined VM broadband and phone line price.

Ben57
Beginner
Message 9 of 15

Thankyou for your response, I basically agree with your comments regards cost etc, and not to plug my phone in, but why should I pay for a service I don’t want because BT are in such a financial mess and this would not help if this option was available to those that do not want a working telephone line, most people have lots of minutes on their mobile and telephone lines will soon become redundant

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 10 of 15

Well that's OK don't bother getting it.

0 Ratings