Did you mean: 
ceouk
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

Ultrafast 1 not meeting guarantee

Go to solution

Hello,

Nice to meet you all!

I had BT Ultrafast 1 installed on 4th Jan. The router hadn't arrived by the time the install happened but the engineer checked it with a modem and it synced on that day at 160mb.

I'm at the Altrincham exchange. The engineer mentioned that I'm about 300m from the cabinet.

The BT Homehub X (the one with Ultrafast written on the front) arrived the next day and also synced at 160mb and speedtest.net was returning speeds of around 140mb.

It's been syncing at slower and slower speeds since and is now at 104mbs with speedtest.net speed of around 95mb. I have ran the official BT one and got similar scores but I will need to disconnect my other devices to make it "official".

I realise DLM takes a while for the line to settle (I've heard up to a month). Is this speed reduction normal? The 160mb seemed stable for the first few days. It's not meeting the 100mb guarantee right now.

Thanks in advance!

Tags (3)
0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
brookheather
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 10

Re: Ultrafast 1 not meeting guarantee

Go to solution

The guarantee is for the sync rate not your download speed - is your sync rate below 100 Mbps?  Can you post your modem stats and results from dsl checker?  At 300m you are on the edge of G.fast availability so I'm not surprised you only get about 100 Mbps.

Highlighted
ceouk
Beginner
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution

Screenshot 2019-01-23 at 21.07.27.pngScreenshot 2019-01-23 at 21.09.36.png

0 Ratings
brookheather
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

Assuming G.fast target SNR margin is 6dB like VDSL (can someone confirm?) then you have a very high margin and therefore slow sync rate - this usually indicates some sort of fault on the line - DLM has been dropping your sync rate to try and stabilise your connection.  Worth trying in the test socket of the master socket and also try a quiet line test.

ceouk
Beginner
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

Seems to have synced at a quicker speed today although it has synced at 96-98mbs earlier in the week.

Do you know how long DLM takes to fully settle? If it syncs at <100mb by this time next week I will contact BT.

Screenshot 2019-01-27 at 13.47.19.png

0 Ratings
ceouk
Beginner
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

Thank you for the replies brookheather.

For those interested the router syncs regularly between 99-110. I'm guessing BT have a DLM profile or whatever to ensure the sync does not breach the guarantee.

0 Ratings
jparnell82
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

@ceoukwrote:

Thank you for the replies brookheather.

For those interested the router syncs regularly between 99-110. I'm guessing BT have a DLM profile or whatever to ensure the sync does not breach the guarantee.

Just wondering how you're getting on? I have very similar stats to you and about the same distance from the cabinet so not sure whether to go for ultrafast or not.. What is your upload speed like?

0 Ratings
ceouk
Beginner
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution
Hi jparnell82,
It's going well. Right now it's syncing at 110 and 18 upload. Upload seems to really stay in the 18-20 range.
It did go down to 88 download about a week ago, for an evening, but the next morning it was back over 100. It was 118 yesterday.
I've been gaming with it and it seems pretty solid.
No complaints tbh, I would recommend as on VDSL I was only getting 45.
0 Ratings
jparnell82
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution
Interesting, thanks. Currently syncing at 60Mbps on infinity. Used to get more but our ECI cabinet is chock a block and i think it's reduced due to crosstalk.
0 Ratings
ceouk
Beginner
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution
Yes, I think my poor speed (it was supposed to be Infinity 2!) was also partly down to the older master socket (not pre-filtered) and the extension cable running off it. The engineer installed a G.fast one and now I don't even need to use filters on the extensions.
0 Ratings