cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 21 of 29

Re: Ultrafast 900 FTTP - Real world experience - Only getting 1/3 of throughput BT say I'm getting

Go to solution

As per my previous post, have found running speedtest  inside a web browser has produced inconsistent  results for some bizarre reason. 

0 Ratings
Message 22 of 29

Re: Ultrafast 900 FTTP - Real world experience - Only getting 1/3 of throughput BT say I'm getting

Go to solution

@pippincpwrote:

@Carlusha  Did you miss this bit? "I work in IT and have done for 28 years. Part of that time was spent being a network engineer so I "know my onions".

Of course I did not miss any of the OP's post. I had 40 years IT experience but that doesn't mean I am an expert.

I'm retired, money's tight, I have 2 i3 mini-desktops and an old i7 laptop that is rarely used. Now I know I would require, for example, at least an i5 to obtain the reap the full benefit of 500Mb+ speeds. 

When testing 500Mb/1000Mb speeds via a computer based device the results are dependent on the capability of the device and the premises environment.
In addition to the standard guidance provided in the ‘Before You Start?’ section you need to ensure that the customers device meets the following minimum specification:

1. Processor should be above or equivalent to Intel® Core™ i5-4570S Processor (4 cores, 3.80 max Turbo frequency, 2.90GHz processor frequency, 6MB smart cache)
  2. Ensure that at least 4 GB of RAM is free
  3. 1 GB NIC card is recommended
  4. Ethernet cable should have the capability to transfer 1GB data
  5. Operating System - Windows 8 and above
  6. Minimum browsers supported - Google Chrome Version86, CX's Internet Explorer 11 as well as Microsoft Edge 2020 browsers version9 (2018 IE is not compatible)
  7. Please ensure you are using the latest browser version for optimum results.

NB: To ensure accurate results please ensure you are testing via a wired connection with all other devices disabled, or switched off when running the test.

Look, I appreciate you are, shall we say, almost the font of all knowledge. I apologise for trying to help @symbol-soup 

I will take off my carpet slippers and go for a walk.

0 Ratings
Message 23 of 29

Go to solution

Out of interest, are you getting identical speeds via WiFi  on your access points?

0 Ratings
Message 24 of 29

Go to solution

Update on the problem, it's now resolved. I had an incredible Openreach engineer spend 4 hours troubleshooting the issues. It turns out it wasn't just one issue, but two.

My line had been incorrectly provisioned and the ONT that had been swapped out by the previous engineer was the wrong one. It had originally been a Huawei that he (2nd engineer) then swapped out for a Nokia. Nokia's can supposedly talk to a Nokia or Huawei head end, but not in this case.

All now fixed. I'm getting 960 down 110 up from the ONT, the SH2 and my own equipment 🙂

Message 25 of 29

Go to solution

@symbol-soup 

If you want to provide feedback to Openreach,

You can give feedback on this form.

https://www.openreach.com/thank-an-engineer-form

It is  always appreciated.

0 Ratings
Message 26 of 29

Go to solution

@symbol-soupwrote:

Update on the problem, it's now resolved. I had an incredible Openreach engineer spend 4 hours troubleshooting the issues. It turns out it wasn't just one issue, but two.

My line had been incorrectly provisioned and the ONT that had been swapped out by the previous engineer was the wrong one. It had originally been a Huawei that he (2nd engineer) then swapped out for a Nokia. Nokia's can supposedly talk to a Nokia or Huawei head end, but not in this case.

All now fixed. I'm getting 960 down 110 up from the ONT, the SH2 and my own equipment 🙂

Not in any case actually, glad it's sorted for you though.

0 Ratings
Message 27 of 29

Go to solution

Nokia ONT’s can work off a Huawei Head End but not vice versa.

Got confirmation the other week. They’re actually going to phase out using Huawei ONT’s altogether soon. 

It’s more of a cost saving exercise than a Technical one.

0 Ratings
Message 28 of 29

Go to solution

Earlier on in the thread OP said the BT test website showed 900/100 speed, but in the end the problem was the line hadn’t been provisioned correctly.

Does this mean that the BT test tool is useless??

0 Ratings
Message 29 of 29

Go to solution

Thanks @Keith_Beddoe  I'll make sure I feedback on the engineer

0 Ratings