Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CarlG27
Beginner
Message 1 of 16

Ultrafast Broadband

Go to solution

Hi,

I have just had Ultrfast broadband installed which works perfectly at the master socket.

I moved the hub to a different socket (while the engineer was still there) and this was connected using a filter to convert the RJ11 plug to a PSTN plug, the engineer stated that this would slow the speed down which I understood. He told me I needed an RJ11 to PSTN adaptor (or cable). I purchased an adaptor but this didn't work. Most cables I can find are basically telephone line extensions which use pin 2 & 5 at each end, I've spotted ones that use pins 3 & 4 at the RJ11 end and 2 & 5 at the PSTN end and others stating 4 wire straight or crossover.

So basically all I need to know is which of the above do I need to simply convert the RJ11 to PSTN?

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Sage
Message 2 of 16

Re: Ultrafast Broadband

Go to solution

If your master socket has a Service Specific Faceplate (ie 2sockets, 1 broadband, 1 phone line) then it is pre-filtered and the broadband signal will not be sent to any other socket.

0 Ratings
CarlG27
Beginner
Message 3 of 16

Go to solution

Hi it is sent to the other sockets as the Openreach engineer did it for me.

0 Ratings
Sage
Message 4 of 16

Go to solution

Then rather than looking for other cables just use a filter and connect as normal. Why didn't you just ask him to move the master socket? Why didn't he suggest it?

Sounds like you got a contractor install.

0 Ratings
CarlG27
Beginner
Message 5 of 16

Go to solution

That's what has been done but the additional filter drops the speed quite significantly.

As the Openreach engineer stated all I need is a RJ11 - PSTN adaptor however just want to know which option to go for as there are several.

0 Ratings
Sage
Message 6 of 16

Go to solution

For the broadband signal the filter is a direct pass through, only the telephone side is filtered.

If you want to do away with the filter then get one of these from a well known auction site.Adaptor.jpg

Enter this in the search bar "rj11 to pstn male adaptor"

0 Ratings
CarlG27
Beginner
Message 7 of 16

Go to solution

That's what I bought and it didn't work yet the filter does. Could be just a faulty product I guess.

0 Ratings
Sage
Message 8 of 16

Go to solution

Give the Ultrafast team a ring and tell them you are not happy with the install. The engineer should have moved the master socket for you. 0800 587 4787

Keep us updated on how you get on.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 16

Go to solution

@CarlG27 wrote:

That's what has been done but the additional filter drops the speed quite significantly.

As the Openreach engineer stated all I need is a RJ11 - PSTN adaptor however just want to know which option to go for as there are several.

Seems odd that the filter drops the speed.

You need pins 3&4 at the RJ11 end and 2&5 at the phone plug end. Polarity doesn't matter.

CarlG27
Beginner
Message 10 of 16

Go to solution

He did offer to do that but, without going into detail, would have been messy.

In essence all I'm trying to do is use the existing telecoms internal wiring of the house as an extension lead rather than run one from the master socket to the Hub, all I'm now having trouble doing is matching the PSTN socket output into the RJ11 (pin 3 & 4) input.

I'll get it sorted one way or the other. Thanks for trying anyway.

0 Ratings