Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Longshanks
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 66

Ultrafast Fibre Plus

Hi

Have been upgraded to “Ultrafast Fibre Plus”. (Only went into into EE Shop to get new iPhone for my son😡)

I’m not complaining (yet) as they saved us £20 a month on what we were paying for current Infinity contract and promise of greater speeds etc) The engineer is coming next week to set up, however I have two questions:

1. I’m terrified that the new Smart Hub will start generating the inevitable constant disconnections. To mitigate this, will I be able to keep my trusty Openreach modem in the set up? (Works v well with our current HH5)

2. They insisted this was FTTH species of Ultrafast. If this is so, I’m curious as the only new cable laid in street the last two years has been Virgin. Suggests this is more Gfast. What do you think?

Thanks

0 Ratings
65 REPLIES 65
brookheather
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 66

Re: Ultrafast Fibre Plus

Enter your phone number or address into the DSL checker and you will see whether you have FTTP or G.fast availability. You won't be able to use your OR modem with G.fast.

https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/

0 Ratings
Longshanks
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 66

Thanks for quick response. DSL results quite difficult to interpret. There is a line which says     “ FTTP is available and an “ ONT” may be ordered? If FFTP is available, can I retain modem?

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 4 of 66

No you cannot retain the Openreach modem on FTTP. The ONT is the modem and you be able to use your router of choice with it.

0 Ratings
Longshanks
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 66

Ok thanks again. Just to be clear then:

FFTP uses a modem, which is called the ONT.

Gfast doesn’t use a modem.

I was wondering, if I pm someone with details, could they check status of visit, FTTP, Gfast etc. Also, the speed quoted is 138mb. Is this more suggestive of Gfast?? 

0 Ratings
Longshanks
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 66

Meant FTTP.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 66

this is a customer help customer forum and your post does not go to BT

who is supplying your ultrafast - BT or EE?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Longshanks
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 66

Hi

know this is Community forum, but thought there were BT staff patrolling, willing to pursue queries etc. 

Ultrafast will be provided by BT.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 66

@Longshanks wrote:

Ok thanks again. Just to be clear then:

FFTP uses a modem, which is called the ONT.

Correct

Gfast doesn’t use a modem.

It does, but but your current modem isn't compatible. Not sure there are any standalone G.Fast modems available, G.Fast compatible devices are combined modem/routers.

I was wondering, if I pm someone with details, could they check status of visit, FTTP, Gfast etc. Also, the speed quoted is 138mb. Is this more suggestive of Gfast?? 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 66

phone the FTTP team who also deal with G.Fast and see if they can help  08005874787

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings