cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
brookheather
Aspiring Expert
Message 31 of 66

Re: Ultrafast Fibre Plus

You won't see any of the FTTP cables if they are ducted underground.  Your installation is KCI2 Assure so an OR surveyor may visit to check how a cable will be routed to your property - for my FTTP installation a new duct was tunnelled under a paved side passage from the BT pavement box.  If you have a front garden they may want to put the cable in a trench.

0 Ratings
Longshanks
Aspiring Expert
Message 32 of 66

Thanks for explaining. I phoned the FTTP number as suggested and just as well. Apparently the order submitted was not FTTP, despite reassurance by EE (aka BT in this instance) This was apparently being delivered under “FTTC arrangements”. I can only assume this was Gfast, although the original person didn’t have a clue. When I challenged, using DSL checker evidence, they still insisted FTTP wasn’t available on our number. She then handed me over to another guy, who acknowledged it was. They’ve now cancelled the Gfast (takes two days to cancel), I phone tomorrow on “value number”, to update to FTTP, finally guy I spoke to promised to ring on Wed to confirm FTTP order could be completed on original visit date next week. He also confirmed same price would apply in circumstances and registered it as a complaint. (Best way to get FTTP at quoted price) 

What a palaver! Big lessons learnt exercise for me. It would have been easier if Id spoken in Serbo Croat in seeking, and being given multiple assurances this was FTTP😡

They didn’t say, but I assume FTTP would be more expensive than Gfast? (Or is to do with Ultrafast Fibre Plus 1/2 etc)

God knows what will be installed next week.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 33 of 66

@Longshanks wrote:

God knows what will be installed next week.

Perhaps this?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-42338067

Sage
Sage
Message 34 of 66

FTTP, G.Fast and VDSL are all priced the same for the same speeds. The only difference is the method of the delivery of the product you buy.

0 Ratings
Longshanks
Aspiring Expert
Message 35 of 66

So, all other things being equal, what would most folk go for? I naively thought FTTP would mitigate risks of constant dropouts associated with combined Smart Hub/modems. I now realise I’ll get one of these mothers delivered anyway. 

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 36 of 66

IMHO FTTP is a no brainer option.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 37 of 66

With FTTP, you won't be using the modem portion of the smart hub, the ont will connect to the WAN port.
0 Ratings
Longshanks
Aspiring Expert
Message 38 of 66

Thanks. That’s what I thought re ONT. Will let you know how it goes.
0 Ratings
Longshanks
Aspiring Expert
Message 39 of 66

(Hi again

Have now updated my order to FTTP (install scheduled for 21 Oct)  They indicated that an engineer would do pre-visit etc. I’m grateful for the explanation re KC12 assure and acknowledge the possible need for new ducting etc. My only query is where would the “pavement box” be on our case? We have underground cable, with line popping up to supply neighbours and ourselves.

(Tried to provide image, but exceeds 333mb limit. Cropped but still no joy)

Thanks

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 40 of 66

It is possible that the existing ducting can be used  as  you have an underground system already the splitter node could well be in the existing street pit.

0 Ratings