cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Longshanks
Aspiring Expert
Message 51 of 66

Re: Ultrafyast Fibre Plus

Thanks for that. I provoked a geyser of techno  babble there didn’t I. I note that copper wire will stay for phone, Thanks.

0 Ratings
brookheather
Aspiring Expert
Message 52 of 66

Basically the current plan is by 2025 your voice service will be delivered over FTTP instead of your existing copper cable - when this switch happens you would plug your phone into the phone port on your router instead of your existing copper phone port.  Your copper cable will then become redundant.

0 Ratings
Longshanks
Aspiring Expert
Message 53 of 66

Thanks for explaining to the uninitiated.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 54 of 66

But it might happen sooner rather than later. 😉

0 Ratings
Longshanks
Aspiring Expert
Message 55 of 66

Hi All

V last questions on this installation. Notwithstanding where they site ONT and feed cable through wall:

Will I not need the RG11 cable that currently connects master socket to Openreach modem? (RG11 rendered obsolete by fibre and ONT?)

Assuming master socket will remain to provide separate connection for phone? 

Is the “fibre” true fibre in sense of word? I ask, as understood Virgin “fibre” is in fact higher spec copper cable? (Not going to barricades on that)

Thanks for your time, patience and expertise.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 56 of 66

@Longshanks wrote:

Hi All

V last questions on this installation. Notwithstanding where they site ONT and feed cable through wall:

Will I not need the RG11 cable that currently connects master socket to Openreach modem? No, master socket will be purely for telephony after FTTP install (see caveat below)

(RG11 rendered obsolete by fibre and ONT?) Yes

Assuming master socket will remain to provide separate connection for phone? Correct unless your telephony service is moved to fibre voice as discussed earlier.

Is the “fibre” true fibre in sense of word? I ask, as understood Virgin “fibre” is in fact higher spec copper cable? (Not going to barricades on that) Yes, the fibre enters your house and terminates in the ONT (Optical Network Terminator)

Thanks for your time, patience and expertise.

0 Ratings
Longshanks
Aspiring Expert
Message 57 of 66

Many thanks again. BT final fibre is obviously higher spec than that used by Branson’s lot.

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 58 of 66

They are chalk and cheese in terms of tech. VM is using EURODOCSIS 3.0 at present but has EURODOCIS 3.1 ready to deploy. 3.1 is good for up to 10Gb connection.

0 Ratings
Longshanks
Aspiring Expert
Message 59 of 66

Hi

If that is the Virgin cheese, what is the BT chalk, so to speak? 

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 60 of 66

I was talking about the technology not the companies.

Perhaps it would have been better for me to say apples and pears.

0 Ratings