cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Ultrafast fibre 250

I have had ultrafast fibre 100 installed for a year or so and its great, at the time I was told that fibre 250 wasn't available here yet. I have received offer letters stating about fibre 250 recently and if I log on to my BT and go to personalised offers it does show me fibre 250 as being my personalised recommendation, however if i go through the availability checker, even while logged in it states " you could be doing more online with fibre 100 " etc and doesn't mention fibre 250.

My concern with progressing an order for fibre 250 through the personalised offers where it shows it is that the " stayfast guarantee " of 250 only shows as 150Mb and even on fibre 100 I'm connected through my router at 159Mbps - so could it be a possibility that if I upgrade to 250 ( and therefore pay more ) my speed might not actually go up and id still be above the guarantee limit?

I have also checked through the cabinet checker and it states that for my cabinet the max observed speeds for G.Fast are 220.91 down and 30.58 up.

Thanks for any advice.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Ultrafast fibre 250

If you go to Advanced settings/technical log/information it will show max attainable speed. You can base your upgrade decision on this figure (deduct about 10Mb for overheads).

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

Ok so max data rate is showing as 212.096Mbps connected at 159.132Mbps and uploads shows as max 27.539Mbps connected at 29.092Mbps - curious how the upload max is showing as less than my currently connected speed! So from this looks like I could expect a reasonable increase in downstream but hardly anything ( possibly even a downgrade? ) in upstream. Noise margin 3.1/7.9 line attenuation 0.0/37.6 signal attenuation 0.0/37.6 if they mean anything - I used to know what all those meant years ago but forgot now!

Thanks.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

It looks like you're about 200-250 mtrs from the cab. So about a max of 200Mb download if you upgrade. Your upload would remain the same the reported difference is a firmware bug.

You are not being offered Ultrafast 250 as that would be the minimum max attainable for BT to give it to you.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

Ok thanks for your replies, yeah it just seems daft for it to show fibre 250 as " recommended for you " under the deals when I'm logged in when they aren't actually offering it! Anyway its not a problem ill just keep an eye on it but I'm very happy with the speed as it is for now.

Thanks.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

Yeh, BT marketing has always been stupid. Pointless keeping an eye on it, all work on G.Fast has ceased as Openreach is now concentrating on FTTP.

0 Ratings