cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 3

Unable to benefit from fibre speeds - too far from the cabinet

Go to solution

Hi,  

so this is my first post and I’m hoping to gather an insight into my options regarding a suitable broadband speed and/or options to increase it maybe ?  

I live in Stratford-Upon-Avon and have just moved from one part of the town to another.  I have moved into a terraced cottage which forms part of a hamlet of 20 cottages.  It seems that broadband speeds varies hugely depending on which cottage you live in.  When I started looking at broadband all checkers were telling me that VM was available but when I contacted VM they said it was only available to the houses adjacent to the main road and not the ones further back which is where I am.  I am literally 20m from that main road.  In my last house I had Virgin Media and was getting 500mb speeds..  

In terms of openreach/BT broadband lines, all checkers were saying fibre was available but when I narrowed it down to my actual address they said I’d only get a guaranteed download of between 9mb and 12mb.  Indeed, my cabinet (cab 5) is fibre enabled but the house is really far from the cabinet!  Ironically, there are other houses next door to my group of cottages connected to closer cabinets and can get up to 80mb speeds!  It looks like my group of cottages are the furthest homes connected to cab 5.  I contacted openreach and they confirmed that I ‘can’t get fibre speeds unfortunately’ and they have no plans to change that.  This just seems quite unfair that a small group of homes in the middle of a residential area has been left out.  4 homes in my complex can get 1gb via virgin media, one seems to be able to get 35mb guaranteed download speed via openreach lines and the rest seem to vary from 9mb-15mb minimum speeds.  

I am a teacher and things like having to do video lessons worries me, will these speeds allow this?  Can I stream in HD on these speeds?  I’m considering 4G broadband but all the speed tests I have carried out seem to only give 2-4mb speeds and it only connects to one cell tower and band.  I’m not sure whether a 4G antenna might boost this, at least to give me up to 30mb speeds would be better!! 

thanks!  

Featured Products Downstream Line Rate(Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream HandbackThreshold(Mbps) WBC FTTC Availability Date WBC SOGEA Availability DateHigh Low High Low      VDSL Range A (Clean)
VDSL Range B (Impacted)
23.215.22.91.513.1AvailableAvailable
2313.92.81.311.4AvailableAvailable
Featured Products Downstream Line Rate(Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream Range (Mbps) Availability Date FTTP Install ProcessFTTP on Demand
33050--Available--
ADSL Products Downstream Line Rate (Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream Range(Mbps) Availability DateWBC ADSL 2+ADSL MaxWBC Fixed RateFixed Rate
Up to 2--1.5 to 4Available
Up to 1.5--1 to 3.5Available
1----Available
1----Available
0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Re: Unable to benefit from fibre speeds - too far from the cabinet

Go to solution

You should be able to stream HD video on a connection with speeds above 5Mbps. Video conferencing will work on speeds above 3Mbps so you should be able to do both with the speeds you have suggested you will get. 

Obviously if more than one person is streaming at the same time your bandwidth may suffer.

Message 3 of 3

Re: Unable to benefit from fibre speeds - too far from the cabinet

Go to solution

The checker estimates are usually conservative, so you will possibly get 25Mbs + but you won't know the exact speed until you are connected unfortunately.