Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
galadial
Beginner
Message 1 of 11

Unable to get internet speed promised in package

Hi All 

I have BT superfast fibre with advertised speeds upto 50mb/s but i can only get about 17mb/s.  The last speed test reported 19mb/s.  I have the BB for nearly a year and the BT help chat has nevr been able to solve the problem despite contacting them on 5 separate occasions.  Any suggestions from the community?

thanks

Peter

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: Unable to get internet speed promised in package

Your line will only be able to deliver the speed that it is capable of supporting regardless of what the "advertised speed"  of the package is.

In order to establish what your line can support and what sort of speeds you should expect can you run this checker and post back a screen shot of the results. Make sure you delete your phone number before posting.

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

and use this speed tester then scroll down the page and carry out the further diagnostics and post back a screen shot of all the results including your IP profile for up and down. This test must be done with a wired connection.

http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

If you have a Homehub 5 can you post the stats from 1-12 by logging onto the Homehub management pages then troubleshooting > helpdesk. http://bthomehub.home/

or

If you have the Smart Hub, (Homehub 6) can you go to hub manager then advanced then technical log and post the stats. http://bthomehub.home/

To make sure there are no problems with your line, is there any noise on your phone line? Dial 17070 and select option 2, there should be no noise between the announcements.

Try connecting to the master socket/ test socket and if your problem is still there it could indicate that there is a line fault before the test socket on BT's side.

When you use the test socket make sure that any telephone extensions you have are "dead". There should be no dial tone at any of your phone extensions. If they have a dial tone it means you have star wiring and that is not good for Infinity and will need to be fixed.

0 Ratings
galadial
Beginner
Message 3 of 11

Is this what you need?

This is a list of your BT Smart Hub settings and current statistics.

Product name:

BT Hub 6A

Serial number:

+084316+NQ72022040

Firmware version:

SG4B1000B540

Firmware updated:

09-Apr-2018

Board version:

Gui version:

DSL uptime:

0 Days, 2 Hours 21 Minutes 27 Seconds

Data rate:

1.81 Mbps / 22.11 Mbps

Maximum data rate:

1808 / 22739

Noise margin:

5.9 dB / 3.5 dB

Line attenuation:

27.9 dB

Signal attenuation:

VPI / VCI:

0/38

Modulation:

G_993_2_ANNEX_B

Latency type:

Fast Path

Data sent / received:

196 MB Uploaded / 4331 MB Downloaded

Broadband username:

bthomehub@btbroadband.com

BT Wi-fi:

Active

2.4 GHz wireless network name:

BTHub6-6SQ8

2.4 GHz wireless channel:

Smart (Channel 11)

5 GHz wireless network name:

BTHub6-6SQ8-5

5 GHz wireless channel:

Smart (Channel 36)

Wireless security:

WPA2 (Recommended)

Wireless mode:

Mode 1

Firewall:

On

MAC address:

84:A1:D1:86:61:7F

Software variant:

-

Boot loader:

0 Ratings
galadial
Beginner
Message 4 of 11

Also this

T BROADBAND AVAILABILITY CHECKER

Featured ProductsDownstream Line Rate(Mbps)Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)Downstream Handback Threshold(Mbps)WBC FTTC Availability DateWBC SOGEA Availability DateLeft in Jumper  High Low High Low        Featured ProductsDownstream Line Rate(Mbps)Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)Downstream Range(Mbps)WBC FTTP Availability Date   ADSL ProductsDownstream Line Rate(Mbps)Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)Downstream Range(Mbps)Availability Date Left in JumperOther Offerings     Availability Date   Premise environmentStatus

VDSL Range A (Clean)28.2202.61.318Available---- 
VDSL Range B (Impacted)21.311.42.418.7Available---- 
FTTP on Demand33030--Available---- 
WBC ADSL 2+Up to 17--10 to 19.5Available---- 
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex MUp to 17Up to 1.510 to 19.5Available---- 
ADSL MaxUp to 8--7 to 8Available---- 
WBC Fixed Rate2----Available---- 
Fixed Rate2----Available---- 
VDSL Multicast------Available---- 
ADSL Multicast------Available---- 
Bridge TapU      
VRIN      
NTEFaceplateN      
Last Test Date04-07-2018      
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 11

You're getting 22M with a 3.5dB noise margin which is between the high and low estimates on the checker, you're not going to get any faster.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 11

The package is 'up to' 50mb but your actual speed depends on your distance from the cabinet. As @licquorice says you are within estimated speed and can't see you getting any faster

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
iniltous
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 11

TBH , your speed isn't far off the predicted speed for your phone number /post code ( which ever you used to get the info ) ...you are connecting at 22 ish, the max prediction is 28 on a non impacted line, if you are not already connected to the master socket , you may be able to eek out a little more speed by connecting to the master socket and optimise any extension wiring, but if there are no extensions and you are already in the master socket, your line ( because of the distance to the 'fibre' cab ) may be as good as it can be...the average speed they now have to advertise in my opinion, is no better than the old system, after all , if the average BT customer gets 55Mb out of FTTC , is of no help to you at all, your speed is determined by , in the most part , by how far you are from the cab, and the fact that the average customer gets more speed is irrelevant.

I guess they still give an individual estimate before you signed up, and a would think that they never said anything like 50 Mb, probably more like 18-25, and if you swapped provider , unless VM is available , you wouldn't see any improvement

0 Ratings
galadial
Beginner
Message 8 of 11

Thanks all for replying.  I was promised 35Mb as a minimum speed and thought 22Mb a little low.  I'm not on the master socket - that's upstairs but when i plugged into that - I didn't see anyincrease in speed.  If anyone has any hints or tips to improve the speed then I'd be very interested,

kind regards

Peter

0 Ratings
galadial
Beginner
Message 9 of 11

One more thing - if i got a faster BB connection ie paid more - would this tranlate into a noticable increase in speed or am I limited by my distance to the exchange?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 11

The checker estimate is 28/22mb so can't see how you got estimate of 35mb. Are you using the test socket to see if that helps your connection?

paying more money won't get you any faster speed as it depends on your line and mainly distance from cabinet which you cannot change unless you move home nearer the caninet

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings