cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jwhite85
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

Unable to order infinity

I'm moving to a new house in a couple of weeks, I know the cabinet has FTTC enabled and the online checker has been quoting speeds up to 80Mb since the address became available (new build). Only, I've just gone to place the order and it is now stating that infinity isn't available.

BT Wholesale checker correctly identifies my exchange and cabinet number, but states "FTTC is currently not available on this cabinet due to following reasons:- Sorry your cabinet is temporarily unavailable, capacity will be restored as soon as possible."

I'm using the address checker because although there is a line physically installed to the property, it hasn't been enabled yet so I don't have a number. As frustrating as it is, I understand what the message means - however, I've put the landline number of one of my neighbours in to the checker and it correctly identifies the exchange and cabinet (same as mine when I use my address) only, it states that FTTC is available.

How can this be? does the checker use different availability data dependant on whether you check with an address instead of a phone line? I don't understand how in both instances it states that the properties are connected to cabinet 12 yet gives completly different results. Any help would be much appreciated, the quoted ADSL speeds are appalling.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
jwhite85
Beginner
Message 2 of 7

Re: Unable to order infinity

Anyone got any ideas on this? I tried calling BT for advise but won't elaborate on how that went.

As per my previous post, if I use the landline number of a neighbour it tells me infinity is available, however, if I use their house number and postcode it tells me it isn't available - the same result I get using my own property number.

I know the simple answer is probably to order the line and then add infinity once I've got a number, but as far as I'm aware, if I do that I'll have to pay a large connection charge which is waived if taking broadband.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 7

Did you try contacting the BT Options Team. 0800.800.030. They should be able to tell you if you can get Infinity and help you order it if it is available.

0 Ratings
jwhite85
Beginner
Message 4 of 7

Thanks for the suggestion, that wasn't the number I called previously but I've just tried that one and they're closed for the bank holiday so I'll try again in the morning.
0 Ratings
petecov44
Contributor
Message 5 of 7

Could it be the cab is full? If I think it's something like 288 lines per cab on a big one? 

0 Ratings
jwhite85
Beginner
Message 6 of 7

That is essentially what the message states when I put my house number and postcode in to the wholesale

availability checker, but that wouldn't explain why Infinity is seemingly available from the cabinet if using a landline number opposed to address. I'm not sure how many properties are served by this cabinet, but I think it's unlikely to be at capacity as it's a small road and surrounding roads have their own cabinets.

0 Ratings
jwhite85
Beginner
Message 7 of 7

Unfortunately BT options were unable to help, they wanted me to order ADSL and wait for Infinity to become available. That doesn't explain why I'd be able to order Infinity if I had a landline number though. I think the only option is to have the line connected and then hope I can order Infinity, annoying as it may be to pay the connection charge and be without internet for even longer.

0 Ratings