Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
WillSK
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 6

Unable to receive minimum contract speeds. How do I upgrade to FTTP

Hey everyone,

So I'm currently trapped in a vicious cycle with BT (on my 6th go including past ISPs) in which my speeds drop/settle below minimum contract speeds down to about 8-12Mbps on my fibre conection. I call up BT to complain, they send an engineer out who does some kind of reset I think, my speeds go back up to 16ish and then a month or so later it's gradually settled back down to 12 or so rinse and repeat. 

Now I have literally been told by BT, there is nothing they can really do as it would require upgrades by Openreach to actually fix my problem. Essentially i've been connected to a terrible cabinet which is so far away the copper loses most of the signal. Now, how the hell do I fix this? Ideally how do I get FTTP as I've been told by an openreach engineer it's definitely possible. The development next to us has FTTP.

What do I need to do, who do I need to call and how much does it cost? Is it possible even? I've included my line check below. Any advice or help on this matter would be hugely appreciated because I'm fed up of going round in circles powerless to do anything.

Thanks!

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Unable to receive minimum contract speeds. How do I upgrade to FTTP

please delete your phone before you get more scam calls than you want

it is FTTPoD which is shown on the checker results and currently for business users probably due to high installation costs

you must have a very poor line that you cannot get speeds within estimated range  as it openreach connection that won't chnage regardless of ISP apart from virgin

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
WillSK
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 6

So is there essentially nothing I can do to achieve higher than say 16Mbps (what I tend to see after an openreach engineer does a cabinet reset)

This seems ridiculous that end consumers are powerless to improve their circumstances
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

@WillSK wrote:
So is there essentially nothing I can do to achieve higher than say 16Mbps (what I tend to see after an openreach engineer does a cabinet reset)

This seems ridiculous that end consumers are powerless to improve their circumstances

the dslchecker gives an estimated speed based on a normal line but if for some reason like aluminium your line is not good then the speed is lower than estimated and apart from openreach replacing all the bad part of your line there is nothing you can do  As the line works for you phone then openreach are not going to replace any part of line to improve broadband

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
iniltous
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 6

But you are not entirely powerless, although you may need deep pockets......your ISP pays around 30p a day to Openreach for your line rental, so I'm sure you can appreciate that if it's going to cost 10's of thousands of ££'s to improve you connection, OR are not going to neccesarily do an upgrade to FTTP just because you are dissatisfied with what you get , if what you get is within the range deemed acceptable for your line length etc.

If looking for options , you could move to a better served area , or you could pay for a leased line , or possibly FTTPod if your cabinet is FTTC and it's just the distance you are from it that results in relatively poor speeds .

The USO for 'broadband' when introduced is likely to be set at 10Mb so you won't have any right to insist on better performance with that.

Is 4G mobile available , perhaps that may give better speed (at a price) .....sorry if my reply is a little harsh, but this is a BT Consumer forum, who don't own or operate a network so seems odd to complain here ....you could canvas your near neighbors and see if a CFP ( community funded project) could get off the ground, that way you and the others in the CFP pay the difference between what Openreach would spend on a commercial project to get the area upto at least superfast speeds ( 24-30Mb ) and the actual construction costs,

If I have  misinterpreted your post and all you want is 16Mb and for that to be maintained and not always drop to 10-12Mb then there is no real reason why this shouldn't be possible , and if the speed is below what you are guaranteed they should seek to solve whatever issue is causing this...out of curiosity what is it that 16Mb will allow that 10-12Mb won't ?

0 Ratings
WillSK
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 6

- So as you state the reason I am getting the speeds I am is because of the distance from the cabinet and this has been confirmed to me.

- The reason I mention the 16Mbps is because due to my crappy connection I want to get every ounce of performance out of it that I can and 16Mbps is my CURRENT best case scenario

- The reason I complain here is that Openreach don't give a damn about consumers. The only ones who seem to have any clout with them are the ISPs (hence why I'm here) and the government (whom I have already written to)

- I'm essentially trying to figure out my options and their associated costs beyond literally moving house and I also want to try and understand why BT won't try to push openreach given that they are supplying multiple people on my estate with speeds that don't even meet the minimum speeds on the paid for contracts
0 Ratings