cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
old_email
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 21

Understanding the various broadband producs (ADSL & FTTC)

I'm finding it hard to see which product is what.  I'm not bothered about all the add-ons, just basically what the current and previous names and speeds for the various broadband offerings.

For instance, my sister has Superfast Fibre Unlimited, what's that?

My SmartHub says I'm now connected to BT Infinity as opposed toBT Infinity 3 and 4 , so what are they?

I asked a friend to confirm his speeds and he is getting 19Mbits/s download and 6Mbit/s upload - what product would that be?  And he has a download data limit (30Gb I think with a further 30Gb free for the moment).

A simple table would be very handy if such a beast existed, though I will accept a complicated spreadsheet.

Thanks

0 Ratings
20 REPLIES 20
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 21

Re: Understanding the various broadband producs (ADSL & FTTC)

Superfast  (AKA Infinity 1&2) has 2 up to speed options, 55/10 & 80/20.

Ultrafast 1 & 2 (AKA Infiinity 3&4 ) 150/20 & 330/30

Plus options offer no difference in speeds but are the bells and whistles.

Enter your phone number HERE and post the result. Remove phone number before posting.

Essential options have a data cap.

0 Ratings
old_email
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 21

Well that both clears a couple of things up, eg "Essential" and confuses things further.
MyBT says I'm on Superfast Fibre Unlimited and average 50mbits/s download, the checker of course doesn't describe anything in those terms, using now VDSLRange A and Range B. I get 20mbit/s and the email I received agrees this with a guaranteed minimum of 11mbit/s.
The checker lists ADSL as being 2.5mbit/s but I was getting 6mbits/s before recently going to FTTC. The ADSL and FTTC speeds tie in fairly well with the observed speeds.
My less techie friends and family seek advice from me and I still find the lack of a list of the names BT uses and their performance annoying, it is as if they set out to obfuscate, and yes I can appreciate marketing speak v technical speak, I'm just looking for clarity.
I've treid to paste the whole ADSL checker table but it formats badly.
0 Ratings
old_email
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 21

An additional posting referring to my friend:
His ADSL checker suggests VDSL speeds (Low) which are twice what he is achieving, and what he is achieving lines up with the Observed. So is the latter actual data for his connection? And why the discrepancy?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 21

if you use photo to post the dslchecker results that will help

Capture.PNG

can you post connection stats from your router please

also check no line noise  dial 17070 option 2  should be silent and best with corded phone preferably from test socket with filter

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 21

The checker cannot observe speeds greater than the customer is getting. If the checker suggests double speed on VDSL then the checker will observe that once the customer has upgraded.

*Average speeds are based on the download speeds of at least 50% of customers at peak time
(8pm to 10pm). Speed can be affected by a range of technical and environmental factors. The
speed you receive where you live may be lower than that listed above. You can check the estimated
speed to your property prior to purchasing.

0 Ratings
conrad
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 21

Superfast Fibre Essential is I believe  a  40/10 product and has been marketed as having a 30Gb usage limit and as an unlimited product.

0 Ratings
old_email
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 21

@imjolly I am not having a problem with my connection thank you.  I merely can't follow BT's representation of their products and what is what whether it be my product or that of a friend or family.

Searching for BT Broadband products doesn't cover it either and is further complicated by all the add-ons.

All I want is a simple table:

Popular Product Name | Official Product Name(s) | Download | Upload | Limited (y/n)

or similar

0 Ratings
old_email
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 21

@pippincpwrote:

The checker cannot observe speeds greater than the customer is getting. If the checker suggests double speed on VDSL then the checker will observe that once the customer has upgraded.

That reads somewhat contradictorily.  Is the checker telling me what I'm getting or what in theory I'm capable of getting?  How do I know which products will give me what I'm capable of getting and which product I'm on if I am getting less than that?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 21

if you posted your router stats that would show what you are getting and give a good indication of may be possible  still up to you whether you post more detailed info or not

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings