cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 21

Re: Understanding the various broadband producs (ADSL & FTTC)

@old_email wrote:

@pippincpwrote:

The checker cannot observe speeds greater than the customer is getting. If the checker suggests double speed on VDSL then the checker will observe that once the customer has upgraded.

That reads somewhat contradictorily.  Is the checker telling me what I'm getting or what in theory I'm capable of getting?  How do I know which products will give me what I'm capable of getting and which product I'm on if I am getting less than that?

The speed you will get is dependant on the length of your line. All the different products do is cap that speed to artificial values of 80/55 or 40 if your line is capable of higher. If your line is only capable of, say, 30Mbps then that is all you will get regardless of which product you have.

The figure the checker shows is entirely independant of product.

0 Ratings
old_email
Aspiring Expert
Message 12 of 21

@licquoricewrote:

@old_emailwrote:

@pippincpwrote:

The checker cannot observe speeds greater than the customer is getting. If the checker suggests double speed on VDSL then the checker will observe that once the customer has upgraded.

That reads somewhat contradictorily.  Is the checker telling me what I'm getting or what in theory I'm capable of getting?  How do I know which products will give me what I'm capable of getting and which product I'm on if I am getting less than that?

The speed you will get is dependant on the length of your line. All the different products do is cap that speed to artificial values of 80/55 or 40 if your line is capable of higher. If your line is only capable of, say, 30Mbps then that is all you will get regardless of which product you have.

The figure the checker shows is entirely independant of product.

So there are two possible FTTC products available - in my case only one as I only have the lower speed available.

What are the two products (excluding options) called? Infinity, Superfast? 

0 Ratings
conrad
Recognised Expert
Message 13 of 21

The FTTC products are  

Superfast Fibre Essential  - 40/10  currently unlimited
Superfast Fibre  - 55/10  unlimited
Superfast Fibre 2    - 80/20  unlimited

0 Ratings
old_email
Aspiring Expert
Message 14 of 21

OK I think I've got it:
1) What were the various ADSL offerings is now simply BT Broadband
2) Basic FTTC is Superfast Fibre
3) If near enough to the cabinet to get the extra speeds the Superfast Fibre 2

They come in Unlimited and Essential options all with a variety of add-ons.
And finally FTTP if you're lucky.
Infinity and Infinity 1/2 etc are subsumed into one of the two Superfast Fibre options.
Is this correct?
0 Ratings
conrad
Recognised Expert
Message 15 of 21

@old_emailwrote:
OK I think I've got it:

Infinity and Infinity 1/2 etc are subsumed into one of the two Superfast Fibre options.
Is this correct?

Basically  yes .

FTTC is now Superfast Fibre  with Essentials being the slowest offering.
Fibre speed is very dependent upon the distance from the cabinet.

At the risk of causing more confusion there are also the Ultrafast products.
Ultrafast 1  - 150/20
Ultrafast 2 - 330/30
These are provided by FTTP or G.Fast (via copper)
My own cabinet has been upgraded for the G.Fast variant.

0 Ratings
conrad
Recognised Expert
Message 16 of 21

All the packages quoted and speeds are those for new and newish customers. From time to time BT will offer free speed upgrades but don't change the package name after the upgrade.

My current package is still Superfast Fibre Unlimited but I have had the free speed upgrade and now have the maximum FTTC speeds 80/20 because I am close to the cabinet but don't pay anything extra for it.

0 Ratings
old_email
Aspiring Expert
Message 17 of 21

@conradwrote:

@old_emailwrote:
OK I think I've got it:

Is this correct?

Basically  yes .

FTTC is now Superfast Fibre  with Essentials being the slowest offering.

Someone earlier had said Essentials was basically Capped as opposed to Unlimited.

0 Ratings
conrad
Recognised Expert
Message 18 of 21

In message 7 I stated this  "Superfast Fibre Essential is I believe  a  40/10 product and has been marketed as having a 30Gb usage limit and as an unlimited product"

Essential is currently unlimited but in the past has been offerred as a 30Gb limited product. 

Sometimes BT have had Essential products available as capped and unlimited at the same time !

0 Ratings
old_email
Aspiring Expert
Message 19 of 21

It's no wonder that customers, especially non-IT savvy users, have no idea, no idea at all - they've got broadband, it works (hopefully) but whether they are on even BT's best deal, or even if they are on an appropriate product, is very difficult to ascertain.

I have another friend, just him, semi-retired, and his wife, and they are paying £90/month (all in) but that's a ridiculous sum of money for WhatsApp, Facebook, browsing and very occasional BT Sport. 

He had no idea of what speeds they were on, just trusted BT to put him on the right deal.  My sister, quite happily on ADSL, was told she had to have a new router as she was being moved to Fibre - she does knitting and has a spinning wheel to make wool and thinks Fibre is ..  well .. fibre.  But BT told her so they must be right.  Can't help wonder if it is all deliberate obfuscation or lack of joined up thinking.  </rant>

Thanks for confirming that it is not straightforward.

0 Ratings
conrad
Recognised Expert
Message 20 of 21

BT are currently migrating customers from adsl to fibre which is what seems to have happened to your sister - she would need a new router for the fibre connection.

Getting a decent deal when renewing your contract can be a right pain in the proverbial. It's best to ring Customer Options ( or whatever they get called nowadays) on 0800 800 030. Make sure you know what other ISPs are charging , be prepared to haggle and remember that if any offer given to you isn't acceptable turn it down and ring again later. You will find that what you get offered depends on who you speak to and is very hit and miss. Personalised offers on MyBT can be very good and if you ring the Options line you may be able to get a slightly better deal than the MyBT one.

0 Ratings