Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
USER_NAME_VZFQYIV
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 9

Unexplained speed cap - Infinity 2 FTTC

Go to solution

Hi 

For the last 6 months or so I have been stuck at around 58mb, my connection was running at 76mb for the last few years. The engineer that installed my connection mentioned the line theoretical Max was 80mb due to how close I am to the cabinet but would sync just below this. I have attached my router stats below showing the sync speed and max rate reported by my router and also bt speed test results. I am wondering if my line profile is stuck somehow?

Many thanks

router stats.PNG

speed.PNG

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Unexplained speed cap - Infinity 2 FTTC

Go to solution
Your speed has been banded, or limited by the software that manages the connection, (Dynamic line management, or DLM) due to instabllity.

It can take days, weeks or months for the software to be "happy" that your line can take a higher speed.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
USER_NAME_VZFQYIV
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution

Thanks for your quick reply, the problem seemed to happen around the same time somebody else on my street was having infinity installed, if its been at this speed for over 6 months what are the chances of it correcting by itself? An engineer had to request a DLM reset some years ago on my line due to a simular problem previously. Not sure how this is done as BT support helpline said its totally automatic and they have no control over it and the openreach engineer that came said he could phone a reset in. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution
On FTTC or "fibre broadband", only an engineer can request a reset, if they idenfity and fix a fault on a visit, as Openreach own the hardware that supplies the service.

Original broadband, ADSL, the equipment is owned by BT Wholesale, and they gave ISP's like BT the software to reset the line management software.

What does http://dslchecker.bt.com show for your number?
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
USER_NAME_VZFQYIV
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

This is what I am getting for my number, many thanks.

stats.PNG

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution
You can either wait for DLM to release the banding, or, request an engineer visit as your speed is below the minimum expected speed.
USER_NAME_VZFQYIV
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

Thanks Webby, Now that I think about it, the speed as been stuck like this since the BT outages around June last year so I think the profile is stuck. Will pm a mod if they could send out an engineer to do the reset.

Many thanks for your help 🙂

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

Mods don't respond to PMs nor will they get involved unless normal channels have been exhausted. You need to report it to the helpdesk as a broadband fault.

USER_NAME_VZFQYIV
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

Thanks for pointing that out licquorice. I phoned up the support helpline this morning and a engineer will be coming out to reset the DLM manually. Many thanks 

0 Ratings