cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

Unhappy: BT insist my line can only support 40mbit, but I had 53mbit before switching (12 days ago)

I am very unhappy with BT, i have recently switched back after a couple of years with Plusnet, on Plusnet i was getting 53mbit, reliably with no disconnection issues. I have switched about 12 days ago To Fibre 1 and been getting a consistent exactly 40mbit. I initially contacted chat and they didn't seem to really know what i was talking about but did eventually agree to sent an engineer. 

The engineer visited today and told me that i was on a 40/10 product so 40mbit was the fastest it would be connecting, but he ran all the tests he could and found no problems. He also said after testing the line was capable of nearer to 60mbit. 

I then contacted BT on the phone and they seemed to understand the issue better but said they had no way to change anything to get it above 40mbit as it wasnt possible... obviously the line is capable of more speed so i have said i want to cancel and leave (as i am within 14 days of the service starting). But this is just ridiculous and i didn't want to have to do it.

The router stats seem to suggest there is indeed more performance to be had.

Data rate:8.641 Mbps / 40 Mbps

Maximum data rate:8.641 Mbps / 61.510 Mbps

Noise margin:6.3 / 15.9

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: Unhappy: BT insist my line can only support 40mbit, but I had 53mbit before switching (12 day...

Hi @mrdom87, welcome to the community and thanks for posting, I'm sorry you're not getting the best speed your line can carry, I've seen this happen when the estimated speeds provided to us from our suppliers are below 40Mb but the line can, in fact, carry a faster speed. We should be able to help you get that changed to a 55/10 profile so I'll send you a private message in a moment so you can get in touch with the moderation team. 

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

Re: Unhappy: BT insist my line can only support 40mbit, but I had 53mbit before switching (12 days a

Looks like you ordered the essentials package which is a 40/10 product. You should be able to upgrade to fibre 1 (55/10)

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

Re: Unhappy: BT insist my line can only support 40mbit, but I had 53mbit before switching (12 days a

Nope my account shows clearly Fibre 1, which is no surprise as that's what i ordered.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

Re: Unhappy: BT insist my line can only support 40mbit, but I had 53mbit before switching (12 day...

I've sent a private message, thanks for the help

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

Hi i replied to the private message but haven't heard anything since, not sure what to do now.
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

The mods are only a very small team and deal with cases strictly in order of receipt, they will contact you when your case reaches the top of their list.

Message 8 of 8

Thanks, if that's the case that's fine I just didn't know what to expect
0 Ratings