cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JynnanToniq
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 8

Unknown Openreach engineer has disconnected my phone and FTTC and left!

Go to solution

Has anyone had similar experiences, and in particular got advice about how to get this resovled ASAP?

An Openreach engineer attended a neighbour's premises this morning, to investigate their problems with slow ADSL.

I have FTTC, via another provider, and a BT landline.

The engineer disconnected my line physically, and then left the premises and the area. I now have no phone, no broadband, and BT are telling me it will take 2 days minimum to reconnect me. (My neighbours have also been disconnected, but instead of a time to reconnect, they've been told their fault is fixed!)

This is outrageous!

I have been on the phone with BT for just under and hour so far, asking repeatedly to speak to a supervisor, but so far I've been told that no-one is available and BT Openreach will call me within 24 hours.

Can someone on the forum help?

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Sage
Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Unknown Openreach engineer has disconnected my phone and FTTC and left!

Go to solution

Even if the mods got involved it would take longer to get a resolution.

0 Ratings
JynnanToniq
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

Well...

It seems if you ask 2-3 times you can get through to a supervisor, and they can raise an internal complaint to Openreach.

Hey presto, a (real) Openreach engineer appeared about 4.30pm, and has so far fixed three connections (turned out at least one other neighbour was disconnected by the earlier Openreach visitor), and has set about improving my neighbours' ADSL speeds with new sockets too.

Looks like the previous engineer disconnected some hardware in the cab, with the consequence that a street of subscribers was left without landlines.

Under the circumstances, it was treated as a bit of an emergency.

I'm trying to find out the name of the original engineer so he/she can be nominated for an award...

Thanks to everyone who read this and winced!

Nick

0 Ratings
JynnanToniq
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

Hi all,

unfortunately, I have discovered today that when the original engineer disconnected my line, he also disconnected all my internal extensions (including burglar alarm) which are wired at the external junction box.

These were *not* reinstated when the line to the master socket was reinstated.

I am now going round in circles trying to get the BT call centre to send an engineer to reconnect the extensions.

If anyone in the south London area has had similar experiences, please share them. It would be really great to be able to pin down the identity of the engineer involved, so that others can be made aware of what happened and warned.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
JynnanToniq
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 8

Charged £129.99 for repairs to damage caused by previous BT engineer!

Go to solution

Hi Forum and Mods,

Following up my own message from July this year, an unknown BT Openreach engineer disconnected me physically from the network, and I managed to get BT Openreach to come and reconnect me.

Unfortunately, it turned out that the connection had not been wired properly, and a second visit was needed to connect me back properly.

These were both the subject of formal complaints.

I have now received my BT bill, and discover I have been charged £129.99 for the second rewiring visit when the engineer fixed the rewiring issue caused by the first visit, despite this being entirely BT's fault!

I am clearly extremely disappointed and angry that this saga is continuing and I am astonished I have been charged, especially since it was the subject of a formal complaint.

Can one of the mods please help me with this, and in getting a refund? I have no confidence that the normal BT phone and online channels will be able to do this, as they were the channels I used to get the rewiring done, and have now ended up charging me for rectifying BT's mistake.

Alternatively, please can someone tell me the best way to make a formal written complaint that will actually be dealt with by people who are not following a pre-set script, and result in a refund and (ideally) an apology?

In frustration,

Nick

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

Re: Charged £129.99 for repairs to damage caused by previous BT engineer!

Go to solution

Hi @JynnanToniq

Thanks for your post and welcome back!

I'm sorry that you feel disappointed from receiving your recent bill.  You can have a word with our >> billing live chat team << and post back to let me know how you get on with this.

Cheers,

Robbie

JynnanToniq
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

Thanks for your advice on this Robbie.

I did contact the billing live chat team, and today was notified of the refund being on its way.

So, all the loose ends are finally tied up on this strange and rather prolonged story.

Best wishes Forum,

Nick

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

Hi Nick

Glad to hear the billing team have resolved this for you.

Just for some extra information, engineer charges are being reduced from £129.99 to £85 as shown in the link below.

Engineer Charges 

Stuart

0 Ratings