cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 14

Unplugged at cabinet

Hi

I have been stuck on an orange light with my router now for near 10 days, after days of phone calls and engineers i recieved a call today from someone in the complaints department, after explaining whats happened to him he said "leave it with me". I recieved a phone call later on that night and he thinks i have somehow been unplugged from the cabinet and cut off, the quickest way to sort it is to go back onto copper broadband and then upgrade back to fiber ! Has anyone else had experience with this??? It could take up to 2 weeks to happen also!!

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14

Re: Unplugged at cabinet

That doesn’t sound right. When you say copper broadband I guess you mean ADSL and for fibre you mean FTTC as you mention from the cabinet. Also does your phone line still work and the broadband that plugs into the same line doesn’t?

If you were on FTTC at the cabinet then they should be able to put you back on FTTC. You shouldn’t have to go on ADSL first. The only time they may suggest ADSL is if your cabinet has no free ports for FTTC now and there is a waiting list to see if either Openreach expand the capacity at the cabinet or someone else leaves an FTTC service freeing up a port. If this is the case then there’s no guarantee that you’ll be back on FTTC in a couple of weeks as it will be down to when a port becomes available. 

Put your details into https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/ and see if it says anything about waiting list. 

If it does, it's possible the port you were connected to was used (putting it politely) by an Openreach engineer to provide a service to another customer. 

If you’re on FTTP (actual fibre optic cable coming into your building), ignore everything I have written about FTTC but what you have been told it’s still not right as FTTP is not provided from the cabinet.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 14

There’s noting in the PCP to ‘Unplug’ as such. In a PCP you Voice Service is connected to the Copper E-Side Cable and D-Side Cable via a Jumper Cable.

With FTTC they’ll also be a set of E and D Tie Cables that are connected to the RDSLAM. So your Dial Tone comes in on the Copper E Side, is Jumpered to the FTTC D Side that routes it into the RDSLAM, Dial Tone along with the DSL comes out onto the FTTC E Side where it’s then Jumpered to the Copper D Side. 

So for your line to be ‘Unplugged’ and still have Dial Tone Someone would’ve had to have removed the FTTC Jumper Cables and Rejumpered your Copper E straight through to the Copper D.

So either it’s been disconnected as above or the Port at the RDSLAM is faulty. Either of which would need an Openreach Engineer to be sent out to investigate. Not this ridiculous idea of cancelling your VDSL, Ordering ADSL and then Reordering VDSL!

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 14

Thanks for the reply

That seems to be the route they are going to go down i think so i will have to wait and see now what comes next😔😔

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 14

Thanks for the reply

Yes my phone line is in good working order just the broadband.

It all worked fine until about 10 days ago and i came home from work 1 day and it was a  solid orange light on my router, i have had problems trying to get it fixed since as each advisor is unsure what the problem can be and the 2 engineers who have been out have come up with nothing also.

I emailed a complaint to bt and had a call back yesterday and this was their suggestion to put me back to copper/adsl then upgrade me back to fiber!! I am just going along with it as i dont know enough about it!

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 14

Did you check to see if you have a crossed line?

Dial 17070 and see if the number that is read out, matches the phone number on your account.

A crossed line is the most common cause of sudden disconnections.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 14

I wouldn’t go with being put on ADSL. I’d first want to know exactly what did the various Openreach engineers say in their notes when they came out to rectify your fault. Somehow I don’t think it would just say they didn’t know. The cynic in me would leave me wondering if you agreeing to take ADSL would stop you getting a higher range of compensation for not fixing your fault quickly. 

So, did the DSL checker show a waiting list or can that be ruled out?

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 14

Hi

Yes that was one of the first checks i had to carry out.

Thanks for the thought though

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 14

This is what it comes up with

20200901_094650.jpg

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 14

You've cut off the bit we need to see to the right.

0 Ratings