Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Alexandersim2
Beginner
Message 1 of 15

Unreliable broadband

Go to solution
I have what is supposed to be super fast fibre broadband but time and time again there is no internet and I have to turn off Wi-fi to use internet on my phone till it returns, I cannot stream tv content use Alexa everything internet enabled will stop for sometimes as long as 5 mins, it happens about once an hour but no real pattern. The hub usually stays blue and says it is connected to internet but it is lying, there is no internet, when it is like that for a longer period light goes orange and rebooting is only way to get it back
0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 15

Re: Unreliable broadband

Go to solution

Welcome to this user forum. @Alexandersim2 

Is there any noise on your phone calls? Dial 17070 and select option 2, there should be no noise between the announcements.

Also try the usual fixes for the home hub, in this order.

factory reset the home hub.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/11386/%7E/how-do-i-reset-my-bt-hub-to-its-factory-set...

Then turn Smart Setup off.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44328/~/switching-smart-setup-on-and-off-on-the-bt-ho...

Then separate and rename the SSIDs.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44798/related/1

0 Ratings
Alexandersim2
Beginner
Message 3 of 15

Go to solution
Line is awful can barley hear what people say in it, constant crackling and white noise.
0 Ratings
Alexandersim2
Beginner
Message 4 of 15

Go to solution
Resetting hub does not do anything, I already separated them as smart devices don’t work on the 5 one
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 15

Go to solution

@Alexandersim2 wrote:
Line is awful can barley hear what people say in it, constant crackling and white noise.

That is the reason for your bad broadband.

If there is noise on the line, then you need to report it as a noisy line. Do not mention the broadband problem, otherwise it will end up in the wrong fault queue, and take much longer to be fixed. There are plenty of people who can fix phone faults, but not as many broadband people.

Once the phone fault is fixed, then the broadband will get better.

Its important to make sure that the noise is still there, when you are connected to the test socket, like this.  This is to prove that the fault is external to your property.

infinity_test.jpg

0 Ratings
oakserver
Contributor
Message 6 of 15

Go to solution

This will almost certainly be the cause of your broadband problems. Any amount of noise on the line degrades your broadband and is likely to cause constant drop outs.

It sounds like you need a BT engineer to check your line. 

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 15

Go to solution

Hi @Alexandersim2,

Welcome to the community. I'm sorry you've been having problems with your telephone and Broadband service.

If you're able to hear crackling on the phone, this will definitely have a negative impact on your Broadband service. If you like, I'll be able to run a few checks on your line.

I've sent you a private message with detail on how to contact my team.

Thanks

PaddyB

Community ModeratorPaddyB
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 15

Go to solution

Hi @Alexandersim2  thanks for taking my call earlier and please post back and update us tomorrow afternoon after the engineer visit. If you need any further help after the visit I will be in the office Thursday afternoon.

cheers
John 

Community ModeratorJohnC
Show your appreciation!
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
Alexandersim2
Beginner
Message 9 of 15

Go to solution
Hi John
Engineer was here today, he has changed the filter, redone all the wiring connections and replaced the cable to the router. So far I have not had any more issues, but it always has been an intermittent fault, so hard to be sure if is resolved.

I still cannot do speed test it just errors, but let’s hope it is working, the engineer found no fault on the line.

Thanks very much for your help

Alex
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 15

Go to solution

@Alexandersim2 wrote:
Hi John
Engineer was here today, he has changed the filter, redone all the wiring connections and replaced the cable to the router. So far I have not had any more issues, but it always has been an intermittent fault, so hard to be sure if is resolved.

I still cannot do speed test it just errors, but let’s hope it is working, the engineer found no fault on the line.

Thanks very much for your help

Alex

Hi @Alexandersim2 

Thanks for posting back to let us know that.

I understand what you mean.  Intermittent faults can be a nightmare!  Hopefully that's the end of the problems you're having.  Is it fair to say it's performing better currently than what it was before the engineer's appointment?

Cheers,

Robbie

Community ModeratorRobbieMac
Show your appreciation!
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings