cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
petecommunity
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

Unreliable connection (Wifi and powerline) with HomeHub5 - problems every 1 or 2 hours

Hoping someone can assist.  I'm on 50Mb broadband which works 99% of the time.  Unfortunately the 1% failure rate is really annoying when in a meeting or streaming TV.

Moved from another house and took perfectly working HomeHub5 with us.

Symptoms are about once every 1-2 hours either the browser gets stuck, TV streaming says 'low bandwidth' or a skype4B meeting 'loses connection to server'.  I have tried both wireless and with powerline adaptors.

Hub is connected to an extension normally but for debugging I also tried the mastersocket.

Might be important: I do not remember seeing the hub light turn orange ever (only during manual reboot).

Question:

- is there any useful info in the hub event log I can examine?

- do you need filters on sockets which have nothing connected to them?

Any other advice greatfully received.

Regards,

Pete

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Unreliable connection (Wifi and powerline) with HomeHub5 - problems every 1 or 2 hours

hub light remaing blue suggests router not dropping internet connection - you can check in stats uptime - troubleshooting then helpdesk

you don't need filter in sockets that are not being used  however as new home did you check that if you connect to test socket that there is no dial tone at any extension socket

test socket.jpg

try quiet line test  dial 17070 option 2 should be silent and best with corded phone

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
petecommunity
Beginner
Message 3 of 6

Re: Unreliable connection (Wifi and powerline) with HomeHub5 - problems every 1 or 2 hours

thanks for the tips!

My uptime is over 3 days so problem might be between router and devices.  Today I had skype4B complaining about connectivity (powerline) and on sunday had a streamline problem (wifi).

Not sure what this meant "did you check that if you connect to test socket that there is no dial tone at any extension socket"?  Do you mean check there IS a dial tone and run the quiet test on any live extension?

Is the length of wire outside the house important?  Mine seems to run all the way around and the cable looks quite ropey.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

try quiet line test form test socket

when in test socket check there is no dial tone at any extension socket whether in use or not   any dial tone is a problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
petecommunity
Beginner
Message 5 of 6

thanks again.

there are two working extensions a few metres from the master socket, which are clearly new ones.  if I remove the faceplate on the master socket, they are no longer connected. quiet line test is fine.

there is an old socket in the airing cupboard which has a cable plugged seemingly leading to a nearby bedroom socket, again looking old.  neither of these have a dial tone at any time and I suspect they are defunct.

so, it seems I don't have cabling problems.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 6

so are you connected to test socket and if so check stability by leaving there for a few days - unless problem continues

0 Ratings