cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

Unreliable internet

I am having daily issues with the speed of my broadband connection. When it is working I have average speeds of 18mbps however there are multiple periods during the day where it drops to 0.2mbps. Yet the router always says the download speed is 20mbps.

I have had an open reach engineer check the line (he found a fault at the connection and replaced the main phone socket)

When I ring bt support they log into the router and say its working fine. 

Has anyone else had this problem? 

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Unreliable internet

welcome to the BT community forum where customers help customers and only BT employees are the forum mods

in order for the forum members to help please can you post the stats from your router (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser) and if  HH5 then go to troubleshooting then helpdesk and if HH6/SH2 then advanced settings then technical log information . 

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

Are you using Ethernet or wireless?

enter your phone number and post results  remember to delete number   https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 5

2 weeks later and its worse than ever.

This eveing my wife and I tried to stream a film, after 2 hours we managed to watch 25 minutes. I raised another complaint with BT 11 days ago and have heard nothing. Complete joke of a business. Oh and that's after it took 4 months actually get my internet online (if you can call 0.12 bps online)

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 4 of 5

Why did you not respond to @imjolly post of 8 days ago?

Have you carried out the various steps?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 5

I have posted the results  above and here is the log information.

stary47_0-1590187775477.png

i have also rang the test line and i have no noise.

The main issue that i am having is the realiability of the speed. My download speeds can be at 18mbps and then moments later 0.12mbps for a period of a few minutes or a few hours.

When the open reach engineer came out, he replaced the old socket for a Mk4 so there should be no issue with the socket.

Thanks

0 Ratings