cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
erwin
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 28

Unresolved complaint with BT - is it possible for my neighbour to get BT Infinity and I can't?

Hi there,

I'd be really grateful for some help please. I have an unresolved complaint with BT, and not getting anywhere with the person handling my complaint. When I renewed with BT at the start of Feb 2018 (I had BT Infinity 2 for the past year), I was informed that the fastest download speeds I could expect was 7-8MB per second! I thought something was amiss - I checked and indeed my speed was about 6.8MB per second. When I raised a complaint about this, I was informed that I had been mis-sold BT Infinity 2, and that I was not technically able to get it in the first place! (I was told the exchange is enabled but my cabinet is not) 

I am contesting this at the moment, as I was able to check on the download speed at a neighbour's house (same street, same cabinet) and he is able to get 30-40MB per second, on a BT Infinity 1 package. The person handling my complaint is not prepared to accept that perhaps there might be another explanation for what's happened - all they are saying is that I can't get BT Infinity. If this is the case, why is my neighbour able to get BT Infinity? 

Any help / advice would be gratefully received. Thank you.

0 Ratings
27 REPLIES 27
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 28

Re: Unresolved complaint with BT - is it possible for my neighbour to get BT Infinity and I can't?

Your neighbours line could be on a different cabinet to you.

If you use this checker and post a screenshot of the results after removing your phone number it will tell what cabinet you are on and what services it can receive.

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

If it does not show a cabinet number it will be because you are on an Exchange Only(EO) line. This means you can not get Infinity because you are not connected to a cabinet, instead you are connected directly to the exchange.

0 Ratings
erwin
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 28

Re: Unresolved complaint with BT - is it possible for my neighbour to get BT Infinity and I can't?

Hi,

Thanks for your quick reply!

Here is the screenshot:

2018-03-19.png

I'm on cabinet 3. The guy dealing with my complaint did say that the engineers were doing some 'maintenance' work but couldn't confirm when this would be completed.

Grateful for your thoughts.

Thanks!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 28

Was you can see your cabinet is unavailable for FTTC ar present so just keep checking until you see it is available then contact BT. And place your order. 

Unfortunately openreach have have not shown what the problem is with your cabinet

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 28

Going by the estimate checker your cabinet is Fibre enabled however for some un-shown reason Fibre is not available at present. 

There is no reason given and it is very possible that BT and the other ISPs do not know what the reason is for that.

It is  Openreach that maintain the infrastructure and they do not necessarily inform the ISPs what the problems are and timescales to fix them.

erwin
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 28

Thank you both for your replies!

So it looks like I'm stuck just now, in terms of placing an order for BT Infinity.

Is there any way I can find out from Openreach about the status of the engineering / maintenance work?

Thank you.

0 Ratings
Leehebrides
Contributor
Message 7 of 28

I am having a very similar problem to yourself as this time, I will let you know if I have any success and how it happened.

Good luck

0 Ratings
erwin
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 28

Thanks Leehebrides, and good luck.

I hope you get some joy. The strange thing about our situation is that before renewing with BT in February 2018, I don't recall having such slow speeds for our broadband - I am convinced that our speeds were at least as quick as our neighbours. I did a speed check recently at a neighbour's (same street, same cabinet, just a few houses down) - they are on BT Infinity 1 and getting 34MB per second, while our line (which was previously on BT Infinity 2 for one year) is now showing speeds of 6.8MB per second. 

If a moderator reads this, please can you get in touch and help? I think there is definitely a technical issue affecting our line, and just wished a moderator can escalate so we can get to the bottom of it.  We are not able to get further info from Openreach on the situation - apparently someone from the service provider (BT!) needs to get in touch to report the issue and liaise on our behalf.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 28

erwin

The impression that you gave when you first posted was that you were unable to order BTInfinity is that correct or is it that you do have BT Infinity but the speeds are very slow? If it is the latter can you carry out the following tests.

Use this speed tester then scroll down the page and carry out the further diagnostics and post back a screen shot of all the results including your IP profile for up and down. This test must be done with a wired connection.

http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

If you have a Homehub 5 can you post the stats from 1-12 by logging onto the Homehub management pages then troubleshooting > helpdesk. http://bthomehub.home/

or

If you have the Smart Hub, (Homehub 6) can you go to hub manager then advanced then technical log and post the stats. http://bthomehub.home/

Is there any noise on your phone line? Dial 17070 and select option 2, there should be no noise between the announcements.

Try connecting to the master socket/ test socket and if your problem is still there it could indicate that there is a line fault before the test socket on BT's side.

When you use the test socket make sure that any telephone extensions you have are "dead". There should be no dial tone at any of your phone extensions. If they have a dial tone it means you have star wiring and that is not good for Infinity and will need to be fixed.

Test socket.jpg

0 Ratings
erwin
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 28

Hi gg30340

Yes that is correct - at the moment I have been told by BT that I cannot order BT Infinity, however I had BT Infinity 2 for a year with BT. To be honest, I'm not 100% sure what the status of my line is now - BT seem to think they mis-sold me BT Infinity 2, and that I was never able to get that package in the first place. However, because my neighbour is able to get BT Infinity (same street, same cabinet), I'm beginning to question whether there is technical issue with my line. I hope this makes sense! I'm just trying to work out what's really happened. Up to recently, my line was fine when I had BT Infinity 2, but since renewing in February I noticed the line speed has reduced significantly - which has led to my complaint to BT.

I'll have a go with these speed tests as you suggest. Thanks!

0 Ratings