Go to solution
Is any of that dangerous personal information to share? 😞
0 Ratings
Message 12 of 47

Re: Unstable WiFi and Ethernet connections suddenly

Go to solution
Oddh
Not seen entries like those before.

Looks like something on the local network, do you have any Apple devices ? Might be worth limiting the number of devices connected and see if you can track it down to one particular device, maybe leave the Sarah desktop off for a while ?
Ensure every machine is set to get its IP address from the local router and is up to date
0 Ratings
Message 13 of 47

Go to solution

There is only 2 devices connected at most 😕 none of them are Apple, nope!

Unfortunately the Desktop is the one I use most of all. Sometimes that's the only one that disconnects. Very confused. I appreciate you taking the time to look, thank you.

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 47

Go to solution
Humm, need the experts on this one.

Has anything changed or been added ?

Uninstall the driver for the wifi in the PC then add it again with default settings. Ensure every network device is off ( alexa, phones, PC's, printers) then reboot the hub. Probably wont work, I think its asking for something from the DHCP service that it doesn't like. Thing is, when the DHCP gives an address it gives it a lifespan, so it will time out regularly which might explain why it happens almost on schedule.
0 Ratings
Message 15 of 47

Go to solution

I got a new PC in early December, but halfthese 'symptoms' pre-date the new PC.

I have indeed reinstalled drivers/power cycled and factory reset the hub.

One question: can a line fault cause DNS warnings/errors?

Thank you

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 47

Go to solution

Any noise on the line will cause problems and should be reported as a line fault on 151 not a broadband one.

Assign a static IP for you PC in the router set the lease time to the highest available, at present it is 24hrs. Offhand I don't know how you would fo that in the hub but I will get back to you on that unless @Gary_C  or @imjolly  knows. The last BT hub I ever had was the Hub 3 and it was only used by the engineer who installed my connection. As soon as he left it was disconnected and put back in the box.

As you are worried about DNS I would suggest you change DNS servers on your PC which will overide the BT ones the hub uses.

I suggest cloudflare as primary 1.1.1.1 and Google as secondary 8.8.4.4 you can do this via network and sharing centre. Here's a how to.

• Go to the Control Panel.
  • Click Network and Internet > Network and Sharing Center > Change adapter settings.
  • Select the connection for which you want to configure.
  • Select the Networking tab. ...
  • Click Advanced and select the DNS tab. ...
  • Click OK.

Select Use the DNS server addresses and enter the one's I've given.

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 47

Go to solution

Thank you for this information! I will try that 🙂

The DNS thing is causing me concern, I don't know how to pinpoint whether the problem is with me or with BT's lines outside.

0 Ratings
Message 18 of 47

Go to solution

That's why I suggested changing DNS. If the problem continues then you can safetly rule it out.

0 Ratings
Message 19 of 47

Go to solution

DNS is Domain Name System. A service that translates the named addresses into IP addresses so you dont have to remember strings of numbers.

The errors on the hub that you posted were all about DHCP or Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol which is a service that hands out IP addresses to the machines on your local network.

Now, in the BT hubs you have, from a quick search I don't think you can change the DNS service it uses (I dont use mine either so cant check quickly but I will when I get a moment)

but it feels like a local network problem to me, almost as if one device won't play ball correctly with the hub. The suggestion above about setting a permanent IP address on you PC's is a good one but would need to be outside the range the DHCP service uses to hand out addresses. I will have a scan of my Hub when I find it and try to help with this but you could also search setting up a static IP address in google (static not reserved)

Might be worth just describing every item you have that constitutes your network, ie routers, sky boxes, pc's etc.

0 Ratings
Message 20 of 47

Go to solution

Ta, I appreciate that!

There isn't much to tell as far as network set up. 

It's the BTHub6, my desktop PC and an android phone. At most it's 2 android phones and the desktop PC. 

I definitely agree that it seems like the PC and router aren't getting along, but I don't know what that means in technical terms!

I had an engineer booked for Friday, he didn't show up. 

I had a call back booked for this morning, they didn't call back. 

It's just a nightmare. 

Thanks again. 

0 Ratings