Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
mgeorge
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 12

Unstable an much below expectations connection

Hi guys, 

My Infitiny connection is drivign me crazy. I have the 75 mbps contract and according to BT I should have had around 68 Mbs/ 10 Mbs of connection at my address. The connection was activated on the 25th of July and since have been around 30-33Mbps/4-5Mbps. I diligently waited for the 3 days, but nothing happend - it is still slower than expected and quite unstable.  And THAT is really making me mad - it drops on an average 5-6 times per day. I have contacted BT support via the chat. It was one time kind of experience - the chat was disconnecting every 30 seconds and the support agent was asking me the same questions over and over, and over again for something like 40 minutes. I took a print of the chat as a PDF, because it would have been just hilarious if it wasn't really important for me to have a stable connection - I'm working often from home and I'm unable to have a single Lync/Skype session, not to speak of any virtual meeting session. Now the fault tracker is indicating a BT Retail Servers fault (whatever that means!) and no way to follow up or to see the development of the story. So I'm lost. Shall I cancel my service with BT? 

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: Unstable an much below expectations connection

was this a self install or engineer?  if self instal are you conencted to test socket with a new filter?

can you go to hub manager then troubleshooting then helpdesk and post stats

can you enter your phoner number and post results  remember to delete number  https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
mgeorge
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 12

It's a self-install, on a test socket, no filter (I haven\t been provided with such)

1. Product Name: HomeHub5 2. Serial number: +076284+1513000227 3. Firmware version: v0.07.03.0814-BT (Type B) Last updated [Unknown] 4. Board version: 01 5. VDSL uptime: 0 days, 00:02:47 6. Data Rate: 7265 / 33568 7. Maximum Data Rate: 7394 / 39161 8. Noise Margin: 3.1 / 6.5 9. Line Attenuation: 0.0 / 20.2 10. Signal Attenuation: 0.0 / 0.0 11. Data sent/received: 1.0 MB / 3.6 MB 12. Broadband username: bthomehub@btbroadband.com 13. BT Wi-fi: No 14. 2.4GHz wireless network/SSID: SUNFLOWER 15. 2.4GHz wireless connections: Enabled (802.11 b/g/n (up to 144 Mb/s)) 16. 2.4GHz wireless security: WPA2 Only (Recommended) 17. 2.4GHz wireless channel: Automatic (Smart Wireless) 18. 5GHz wireless network/SSID: SUNFLOWER 19. 5GHz wireless connections: Enabled (802.11 a/n/ac (up to 1300 Mb/s)) 20. 5GHz wireless security: WPA2 Only (Recommended) 21. 5GHz wireless channel: Automatic (Smart Wireless) 22. Firewall: Default 23. MAC Address: 5c:dc:96:03:61:2f 24. Software variant: - 25. Boot loader: 0.5.0-BT (Tue Jun 17 18:52:56 2014)

BT BROADBAND AVAILABILITY CHECKER

Telephone Number ************ on Exchange SPENCERS WOOD is served by Cabinet 1

Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

HighLowHighLow    

FTTC Range A (Clean)68.650.32014.1--Available
FTTC Range B (Impacted)59.73319.98.9--Available

WBC ADSL 2+Up to 3.5--2 to 6Available
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex MUp to 3.5Up to 0.52 to 6Available
ADSL MaxUp to 2.5--1.5 to 3.5Available
WBC Fixed Rate1----Available
Fixed Rate1----Available
Other Offerings
FTTP on Demand33030--Available
Fibre Multicast------Available
Copper Multicast------Available

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 12

sorry but are you using the test socket as shown here  test socket.jpg

you need to use a filter unless your socket looks like this

fibre SSFP.jpg

your estimated speed is anything between 68/50mb according to the checker

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
mgeorge
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 12

Yes, I'm using exactly this socket. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 12

sorry do you mean the test socket shown in top pic?  if so are you using a filter?

0 Ratings
mgeorge
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 12

I am using the test socket. I am *not* using a filter.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 12

you should be using a filter which you probably got with the hub  without the fillter any incoming calls whether phone attached or not will drop your broadband connection

0 Ratings
mgeorge
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 12

I'm sligtly confused. You said, I'm quoting "you need to use a filter unless your socket looks like this". My socket looks like this. So I still need to use a filter? And no, there was no filter provided with the hub. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 12

if your socket looks like my top pick with test socket then you need a filter when using the test socket   if your socket looks like my bottom pic with 2 sockets - adsl/vdsl and phone - then using the top socket you do not need a filter as it is built in

0 Ratings