Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Johnsondav
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 23

Upgrade Infinity 1 to Infinity 2 Failure

Go to solution
Hi everyone. Got an email from BT on 8th May 2015 with an offer to double my Infinity 1 Broadband speed from 33Mbts to upto 80Mbts at no extra cost for 12 months. Well, I'm still waiting. Phoned after 10 days to inform them on increase in speed AT ALL, they checked the line and they said everything was ok., wait 48 hours and I should have at least 48Mbts. No, still no speed increase. Phone again after waiting another couple of weeks on 12 June. Tolded an engineer would call 22 June to sort out the problem. He checked the line from the master socket and could not understand that the line checked out ok but set at 40Mbts max, I was still Getting exactly the same speed before the offer 33Mbts. He checked the cabinet and found it was working ok but the speed set to the house was wrong and he would report the fault to BT. That was two weeks ago and still no speed increase. Phone BT again and I was switched to an automated message stating that due to a technical fault in my area the broadband would be fixed within two hours. You guessed it, still the same broad and speed. Oh, by the way, used their broadband speed check, the max speed for my line is set to 34Mbts max line speed. HELP!
Tags (1)
0 Ratings
22 REPLIES 22
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 23

Re: Upgrade Infinity 1 to Infinity 2 Failure

Go to solution
Can you run this checker and post back a screen shot of the results

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

and use this speed tester then carry out the further diagnostics and post back a screen shot of all the results including your IP profile for up and down. This test must be done with a wired connection.

http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

if you have a Homehub 5 can you also post the stats from 1-12 by logging onto the homehub management pages then troubleshooting > helpdesk. http://bthomehub.home/
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 23

Go to solution

If you were only getting 33Mbs on Infinity 1 you would not get any faster speed on Infinity 2.

Infinity 1 has a maximum speed of 38Mbps and you were not achieving that so there is no way you would get more by going to Infinity 2.

The only way you would see an increase would be if your line was capable of exceeding 38Mbps which obviously it is not if all you could/can get is 33Mbps.

Johnsondav
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 23

Go to solution

Hi John46

The distance from my home to the BT cabinet is 500 metres acording to the Openreach engineer. My checks are as follows;

DSLchecker

DSLchecker.jpg

My BTwholesale speed test

BT Speed Test.jpg

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 23

Go to solution

if you have a hh5 then go to troubleshooting then helpdesk and post 1-12

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Johnsondav
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 23

Go to solution
Sorry, I don't have a BTHub5, only a BTHub4. I have tried resetting the hub back to factory setting but this has made no improvement. Thanks for the help anyway.
0 Ratings
Johnsondav
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 23

Go to solution

Hi Everyone

I have been giving this problem further though, may be completly unrelated, but would like your thoughts on it.

Back in Nov. 2013, we had a phone fault. Some how, our phone number had changed without us knowing about it for a couple of weeks. We didn't know until I got an email from my son who had been tring to call us for few days and got a bit worried when we didn't call him back. We only discovered, by using my mobile our home phone number was wrong. When we called BT they said the line checked out ok and didn't belive what we were telling them about the number being wrong. An engineer came and told us someone, whilst working in the cabinet, we were put on the wrong socket (what ever that means). Now, if it is posible to move our phone number and my broadband was still working during the same period, could he have moved the phone line back to the correct socket and left us on the other broadband i.e. Infinity 1. That way the upgrade has happened for someone else! Lucky them. What's your thoughts!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 23

Go to solution

You are on Infinity 2 as can be seen by the up IP profile of 20Mbps. If you were still on Infinity 1 it would show as 10Mbps.

Checked2013
Expert
Message 9 of 23

Go to solution

As you are not getting the full speed of Infinity 1 as shown from your speedtest, then you will not get any more speed from being on Infinity 2

sovrec
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 23

Go to solution
According to the BT Openreach engineer who was at my house on Thursday, the most you can expect on I2 from 300m from the cabinet is 40mbps - according to him it's entirely down to distance and any more is impossible.