cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
andyjeff66
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 15

Upgrade from Infinity 1 to Superfast Fibre Plus = Same Speed

So on Monday (26/11/2018) I upgraed from Infinity 1 to Superfast Fibre Plus with the promise of a minimum line speed of 55Mbps. On Infinity 1 my line speed is usually around 28Mbps, seen a high of 32Mbps and a low of 16Mbps. After looking back through my emails Infinity 1 should have had a minimum line speed of 52Mbps; somehow I missed that detail at the time and was happy enough with the speed recieved. After an upgrade in package though I'd kind of like the upgrade to actually do what it promisies.

Service was due to start by midnight on Tuesday (27/11/2018) and I noticed the order was marked as complete early Wednesday morning via the BT app whilst working a night shift. When I get home I run a speed test that initially returned a reult of 19Mbps but within a few minutes was up to 28Mbps. Dissapointing.

While I know the line can take up to 10 days to stabilise itself surely if there was going to be an improvement it should at least start to show a bit more then what I was already getting. Just to confirm though I have tested the speed with my laptop wired to my TP Link WD9880 router (I also have a HH4 I could try) as the sole device with wifi disabled. So now I need to start troubleshooting and could do with some additional guidance. 

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES
andyjeff66
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 15

Re: Upgrade from Infinity 1 to Superfast Fibre Plus = Same Speed

To get the ball rolling here's some further details that I've seen asked about before.

bt broadband availability checker.jpg2018-11-30 (1).png2018-11-30.png

0 Ratings
CJT80
Expert
Message 3 of 15

@andyjeff66

By the looks of the details provided (on speeds you should get) you should be getting close to 55 Mbps.

Could it be a software issue, and the change over has not taken place? 

Interestingly with the details provided why are you not hitting close to 38 Mbps on the old package! 

What socket is the Modem plugged into? Any extentions? 

Kind Regards
CJT80
Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs Up icon. Have I resolved your issue? Click "Mark As Accepted Solution"
andyjeff66
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 15

Thanks for your assistance.

I believe the socket is NTE5 with an Openreach Iplate. There is an extension to a socket in an upstairs bedroom that is unused. I've had my router connected to the test socket (with filter) since this morning as I was concerned the extension could have been causing the problem but there has been no significant change (drop of 2Mbps)  in the results of BT's speed test. I've also ran the quiet line test using all sockets and really can't discern much in the way of noise.

0 Ratings
CJT80
Expert
Message 5 of 15

@andyjeff66

Possibly a software issue/ order issue at BT's end. 

I have to admit I am mystified.

There is usally one of the more experienced members who look on the forums, they may be able to suggest a reason. 

Kind Regards
CJT80
Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs Up icon. Have I resolved your issue? Click "Mark As Accepted Solution"
andyjeff66
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 15

I appreciate the help as I've been reading through similar threads to try and help me pinpoint what the problem is. Last night I'd convinced myself it must have been the extension but at least I seem to have ruled out a fault on my end.

0 Ratings
conrad
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 15

" I've also ran the quiet line test using all sockets and really can't discern much in the way of noise."

If you have been using the test socket any extension should be dead - was that the case? If not then you have a problem with your internal wiring.

andyjeff66
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 15

Good point, I hadn't ensured the extension was dead after starting to use the test socket but yes it is dead.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 15

If you are still connected to test socket can you repost your hub stats

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
andyjeff66
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 15

The line has currently been up for about 24 hours since my last line test via BT Wholesale (not planning on running another one) and is still connected to the test socket. It's not connected to my HH4 but I can do that if it would help.

Router Stats 01122018.jpg

0 Ratings