Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 14

Upgrade from "Broadband Unlimited" to "Fibre 1"

Go to solution

Hello,

At the moment I have "Broadband Unlimited" and am using a wired Billion BiPAC 7800 ADSL2+/Broadband Router with Gigabit Ethernet Switch (prepared with FTTH multi-service gateway, RJ-45 E-WAN port (option for connecting to Cable, VDSL or Fiber modems)).

During the last weeks the quality of our broadband connection got so bad (average 12 disconnects per day!), that I want to upgrade to "Fibre 1" (should have done that when BT had that offer to upgrade for free a while ago). Will that help?

My Billion device was always so reliable, that I would love to continue using it on "Fibre 1". Is this possible? (somewhere I read that I would need an "Open Reach Fibre Modem", because the Bipac 7800 does not have a VDSL Fibre modem built in)

If not, I guess I will have to use that supplied BT Smart Hub 2.

Can Wi-Fi be turned off completely? (I just want to use Ethernet). Can I configure that via Browser?

Can I use all 4 Ethernet ports? Somewhere I read that there is a version of the Smart Hub 2 with only 3 of 4 usable ports.

How do I connect my landline telephone? According to https://www.bt.com/help/broadband/getting-set-up/user-guides-and-manuals-for-bt-hubs a master socket can be installed to the broadband out socket - will the engineer install this?

Many thanks!

Tags (2)
0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 14

Re: Upgrade from "Broadband Unlimited" to "Fibre 1"

Go to solution

If you are having connection problems and the problem is between you and the cabinet then the move to fibre will not help as it will be the same copper wire used by fibre 1

as router has no vdsl modem then you eithe need to buy modem probably from auction site or use the hub provided it will have 4 usable Ethernet ports

you can disable the wireless networks from the hub

if you have an openreach master socket for current broadband then the same socket will work with fibre 1

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 14

Go to solution

Hi and thanks for your answer.

So Fibre 1 is copper – not fibre? 

I dont understand:

At the moment my average Broadband Unlimited speed is:

• 7 Mbps download
• 1.2 Mbps upload (evening only 0.6 Mbps which is quite slow...)

According to BT Fibre 1 should increase the speed to 48 Mbps–50 Mbps.

Is this possible with copper?

Confusing...

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 14

Go to solution

Fibre 1 is FTTC - fibre to the cabinet and then your existing copper cable from cabinet to your home.  FTTP fibre to the premises is fibre right to your home

enter your phone number and post results  https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 14

Go to solution

Thanks again, the result is...

[...] is served by Cabinet 6
Featured Products Downstream Line Rate(Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream HandbackThreshold(Mbps) WBC FTTC Availability Date WBC SOGEA Availability Date Left in JumperHigh Low High Low        VDSL Range A (Clean)
VDSL Range B (Impacted)
8057.7201651.6AvailableAvailable--
78.452.3201443.2AvailableAvailable--
Featured Products Downstream Line Rate(Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream Range (Mbps) Availability Date FTTP Install ProcessFTTP on Demand
33030--Available--
ADSL Products Downstream Line Rate (Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream Range(Mbps) ADSL Availability Date WBC SOADSL Availability Date Left in JumperWBC ADSL 2+WBC ADSL2+ Annex MADSL MaxWBC Fixed RateFixed Rate
Up to 15.5--14.5 to 16.5AvailableAvailable--
Up to 15.5Up to 114.5 to 16.5AvailableAvailable--
Up to 6.5--6 to 8AvailableAvailable--
2----AvailableAvailable--
2----Available----
Observed Speeds ADSLMax Observed Downstream SpeedMax Observed Upstream SpeedObserved Date
2020-05-18
Other Offerings Availability DateVDSL MulticastADSL Multicast
Available
Available
Premise Environment StatusBridge TapVRINTE FacePlateLast Test Date
U
N
N
27-04-2020

FTTP is not available.

For all ADSL and WBC Fibre to the Cabinet (VDSL or G.fast) services, the stable line rate will be determined during the first 10 days of service usage.

Actual speeds experienced by end users and quoted by CPs will be lower due to a number of factors within and external to BT's network, Communication Providers' networks and within customer premises.

The Stop Sale date for IPstream is from 31 Jan 2013. the Formal Retirement date for IPstream is from 30 Jun 2014.

If you decide to place an order for a WBC fibre product, an appointment may be required for an engineer to visit the end user's premises to supply the service

In order to be eligible for handback, downstream speed should be less than Downstream Handback Threshold values.

-----------------------------

Which numbers are relevant?

Would an upload speed of about 3 Mbps be possible (for twitch streaming via OBS Studio)?

Sorry the HTML was not accepted completely and had been modified.

Thank you!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 14

Go to solution

the main figures from dslchecker show your connection should be capable of 80/58mb down and 20/16mb up speed

however if you select Fibre 1 then that is capped at 55mb down and 10mb up and you should get that as long as there are no line problems

Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 14

Go to solution

Thank you, sounds good. So I will take a chance and upgrade!

Since the existing copper cable is used, no BT engineer will have to come?

You wrote above:

> as router has no vdsl modem then you either need to buy modem probably from auction site

> or use the hub provided it will have 4 usable Ethernet ports

What would you suggest?

If it's buying a modem, would it be "BT Openreach Fibre Modem"?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 14

Go to solution

you need to remove the amazon link as not permitted on forum.

I would try using the SH2 which BT will provide and if not happy the get a modem HG612 from ebay

you should not need engineer visit as if using hub then it is plug & play

Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 14

Go to solution

Great! I really appreciate your help!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 14

Go to solution

Yesterday my BT Openreach VDSL/FTTC fibre modem (HG612) arrived! 

(used, but looks like new.) It's from ECI (item code 061513, made 12/2012) – not from Huawei – I hope this is OK...

I also bought a 50cm Cat6 Ethernet cable to connect the modem between my BILLION router and the BT socket.

Of course I will RESET the modem before using it, but what else do I have to do?

It didn't come with a manual, however I found the PDF "EchoLife HG612 FTTC VDSL NTE User Guide.pdf" online, 

but that's from 2009 and for the Huawei version.

I'm using computers for 30 years but this manual (if suitable at all) looks... complicated! E.g. I read:

"By default, you cannot log in to the Web-based configuration utility before you enable the login function through TR069"

What is this "TR069" and what is required as setup?

Thanks!

i: I'm using the latest Safari browser on a Mac.

0 Ratings