Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Oakman
Beginner
Message 1 of 13

Upgrade to Fix Fault?

Hi,

Maybe I am panicking ahead of time but this is my story and issue:

Last Thursday my BT Standard Broadband powered by BT Home Hub V4 stopped working; I came back from work and found the orange light on with the "B" icon flashing in red.

After calling BT and all sort of tests (of course I also tried powering off, restarting, factory resetting etc) I was told that I need a new Hub as the fault was in my Hub.

I was and I still am sceptical about this as the Hub 4 was working perfectly until last Wednesday late night and nobody touched it; I do understand this stuff sometimes just die but still, it seemed weird. My hypothesis is that there is a fault in the line somewhere.

After the talking with BT who suggested to replace the Hub the best solution appeared to be to upgrade to Fiber and get the new Smart Hub (all for the same price). So I did and today I received my new Smart Hub, the new line (Fiber Broadband) will be active Monday 12th of November.

I am assuming that I should still be on standard BT broadband until Monday (unless the old connection is deactivated in advance when upgrading and there is a no connection period ?) so today I tried the new Smart Hub;

I know the line will be active on Monday but my old BT line should still be on and as it stopped working with Home Hub 4 last week and they said the Hub was the problem I wanted to check if it works with Smart Hub; from searching online seems that Smart Hub works with standard broadband too (even though not adviced).

Of course I tried and it does not work; Smart Hub display a flashing purple light, meaning that there is a problem with my internet cable. I do believe that I will have the same problem once my fiber broadband will be activated next Monday because something happened to my line last week in my opinion, but I am sure it is pointless to call BT before Monday because they will tell me to wait.

I expect an engineer will have to actually go to the street cabinet to connect fiber to my line (Not to my house, I did not request one because I was told will be easy), do you think he may be able to see if there are other issues when he does the standard installation in the cabine?

In any case, anybody knows more about this?

When you upgrade with the same provider (BT) the old broadband stays on until the day of activation of the new? Should I be worried and is very likely that I will have to request an engineer on Monday?

Sorry, I work from home and this has been a disaster!

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 13

Re: Upgrade to Fix Fault?

Do you have dial tone on your phone, as its sounds like the original fault was a disconnected line, so that will be the same with the new home hub?

Two extra things to check.

Make sure your phone number is correct, dial 1470 17070 and make sure that the number that is read back to you, matches your number.

Is there any noise on the line, you can select option 2 from the menu after you number has been read out, see if there is any noise between the announcements.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Forumhelp (Private website) Lots of additional information and help.
You will need to be connected to your home BT Broadband connection to view it, or any links to it that I post on this forum.

0 Ratings
Oakman
Beginner
Message 3 of 13

I do not have a phone because we only use the broadband in the House. Do you suggest to buy a cheap phone to do some sort of test? If the line is disconnected who I need to contact?

Thank you

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 13

@Oakman wrote:

I do not have a phone because we only use the broadband in the House. Do you suggest to buy a cheap phone to do some sort of test? If the line is disconnected who I need to contact?

Thank you

Yes, you will need a cheap landline phone to check at the test socket. The BT Line test cannot detect a line fault close to your home.

If you do not get dial tone, or there is noise on the line, then you need to report it as either no dial tone, or a noisy line. Do not mention the broadband problem, otherwise it will end up in the wrong fault queue, and take much longer to be fixed. There are plenty of people who can fix phone faults, but not as many broadband people.

There was probably no need to upgrade.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You will need to be connected to your home BT Broadband connection to view it, or any links to it that I post on this forum.

0 Ratings
Oakman
Beginner
Message 5 of 13

Thank you I will buy a cheap one later.

And sorry, so If I find a problem in the phone line do I need to report the phone line problem to BT ?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 13

@Oakman wrote:

Thank you I will buy a cheap one later.

And sorry, so If I find a problem in the phone line do I need to report the phone line problem to BT ?

Yes, as I explained on my last post.

0 Ratings
Oakman
Beginner
Message 7 of 13

I have no Dial Tone at test socket. Calling Bt Now

0 Ratings
Oakman
Beginner
Message 8 of 13

The phone line was indeed faulty at the BT exchange. Tomorrow they send somebody to fix it.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 13

@Oakman wrote:

The phone line was indeed faulty at the BT exchange. Tomorrow they send somebody to fix it.

Its a pity you did not check this originally, as it would have saved a lot of hassle, and the extra cost of upgrading. As I said, BT cannot test for disconnections, the LTS (Line Test System) is not accurate enough for that, and the helpdesk do not see the full diagnostic results, as they would not know how to interpret the results.

Years ago, every line had its initial parameters, measured and stored. Things like like capacitance, and expected loop resistance.

Also every line is supposed to be correctly terminated at the customer end, which is not always the case. This means that a line test for a disconnection, has to ignore most results, as it may simply mean that the customer end is wired up wrong.

The line test can return a message to say a disconnection in or near the customer end, if the LTS is working properly, which in your case, did not happen, assuming the helpdesk ran a line test.

As its a phone fault, it should be fixed quickly.

0 Ratings
Oakman
Beginner
Message 10 of 13

Yes, It would have definitely saved me a lot of time and £ 17 I spent onf 5 days FON hotspot access; this was also much more complicated because I had to take care of it not being the account holder (the holder is my landlord) but a contacti in the contract.

I could not check this because I did not have a phone in the house and also because I am not educated in these things, I did not think the phone line could be related. When I called BT last week they kind of convinced me it was my Hub; I was very sceptical because it was working fine, not a single problem before that.

I am happy that it will be fixed shortly, I think like you said I got disconnected at the exchange. They told me it will be fixed tomorrow but the deadline is actually saturday at 5 pm (in the fault email).

ABout the upgrade, it was free, so we pay the same price we did for standard broadband; our contract was old from 2012 we never changed it. Only cost was 9,99 for the smart hub.

I think though as many people don t use phones anymore  but phone line is still related to broadband, when you call to report a broadband fault why don t they run all sort of tests on the phone line too like they did today and they immediately found a fault outside in the BT network?

0 Ratings