Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
caithnesslad
Beginner
Message 1 of 19

Upgrade to Infinity slower than old broadband connection

Go to solution

I've recently moved into a new rural property.  About 150m from the cabinet, 2 miles from exchange.

A new phone line was installed, because it was not previously connected to the cabinet I could only order standard broadband, which I did. This achieved download speeds of 2.5-2.8Mbps.

With the line installed, I was told I could upgreade to infinity, and putting my new telephone number into availability checkers showed 50Mbps available.

I have now upgraded to infinity 2 days ago and can only achieve speeds of under 2Mbps - I know they say it takes 10 days to settle but when I upgraded in a previous property the speed increase was instant.

Why is it slower than broadband, and should it be better. Tests done connected to test slot on master socket.

Screenshots attached below.Test1-1.jpgtest2-1.jpgTest3-1.jpg

0 Ratings
18 REPLIES 18
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 19

Re: Upgrade to Infinity slower than old broadband connection

Go to solution

Please post the line stats from your HH.

HH6 Advanced settings/technical log.

HH5 Troubleshooting/helpdesk.

0 Ratings
caithnesslad
Beginner
Message 3 of 19

Go to solution

Apologies, I'm not sure what you're after. I have the smarthub.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 19

Go to solution

Then go to advanced settings >technical log and post the results.

0 Ratings
caithnesslad
Beginner
Message 5 of 19

Go to solution

Thanks,

Product name:

BT Hub 6A

Serial number:

+084319+NQ64593326

Firmware version:

SG4B1000B540

Firmware updated:

26-May-2018

Board version:

Gui version:

DSL uptime:

0 Days, 1 Hours 49 Minutes 53 Seconds

Data rate:

944 Kbps / 1.97 Mbps

Maximum data rate:

944 / 2406

Noise margin:

6.5 dB / 6.6 dB

Line attenuation:

55 dB

Signal attenuation:

VPI / VCI:

0/38

Modulation:

G_993_2_ANNEX_B

Latency type:

Fast Path

Data sent / received:

31 MB Uploaded / 234 MB Downloaded

Broadband username:

bthomehub@btbroadband.com

BT Wi-fi:

Active

2.4 GHz wireless network name:

BTHub6-G7C8

2.4 GHz wireless channel:

Smart (Channel 11)

5 GHz wireless network name:

BTHub6-G7C8

5 GHz wireless channel:

Smart (Channel 36)

Wireless security:

WPA2 (Recommended)

Wireless mode:

Mode 1

Firewall:

On

MAC address:

24:20:C7:5A:3C:49

Software variant:

-

Boot loader:

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 19

Go to solution

If you have the Smart Hub, (Homehub 6) can you go to hub manager then advanced then technical log and post the stats. http://bthomehub.home/

Make sure you include the modulation type. It should show 993.2 for VDSL. It could be that you have not been moved onto VDSL and are still on ADSL in which case it will show 992.5

You should also check to see if there is any noise on your phone line? Dial 17070 and select option 2, there should be no noise between the announcements.

Try connecting to the master socket/ test socket and if your problem is still there it could indicate that there is a line fault before the test socket on BT's side.

When you use the test socket make sure that any telephone extensions you have are "dead". There should be no dial tone at any of your phone extensions. If they have a dial tone it means you have star wiring and that is not good for Infinity and will need to be fixed.

EDIT: Posts crossed. You are on VDSL.

0 Ratings
caithnesslad
Beginner
Message 7 of 19

Go to solution

Make sure you include the modulation type. It should show 993.2 for VDSL. It could be that you have not been moved onto VDSL and are still on ADSL in which case it will show 992.5

993.2 showing as per above

You should also check to see if there is any noise on your phone line? Dial 17070 and select option 2, there should be no noise between the announcements.

I will try this shortly - currently have no phone connected, I've got the router in the test socket

Try connecting to the master socket/ test socket and if your problem is still there it could indicate that there is a line fault before the test socket on BT's side.

As above, that's what I'm on

When you use the test socket make sure that any telephone extensions you have are "dead". There should be no dial tone at any of your phone extensions. If they have a dial tone it means you have star wiring and that is not good for Infinity and will need to be fixed. Yes secondary socket dead.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 19

Go to solution

There is something seriously wrong here, your stats bear no relation to the checker results. Can you carry out the steps suggested by @gg30340

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 19

Go to solution

Posts crossed.

All I can suggest is that you need an engineer visit.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 19

Go to solution

if you are using the test socket with filter and quiet line test ok looks like even though it shows vdsl you are still on adsl and need mod help. 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.