Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Stumpy21
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 12

Upgrade to Superfast Fibre 2 FTTP but upload still at 10 Mbps

Hello

I had an offer from BT to upgrade my Superfast Fibre Essential from 36Mbps + 10Mbps to Superfast Fibre 2 74Mbps + 20Mbps

As I was interested in experimenting with the free BT Cloud service I thought the extra upload speed might make it worthwhile, so I signed up.

The upgrade has now gone through but although I am now getting around 70Mbps download my upload is still at the old 9.5Mbps. Surely being on FTTP there is no reason why I will not get the full 20Mbps as offered.

I have tried the BT speedtest from the Smart Hub but that only tests download.

Is there anything I need to try at my end or do I need to contact someone at BT ?

Derek

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: Upgrade to Superfast Fibre 2 FTTP but upload still at 10 Mbps

Nothing you can do at your end, call the FTTP team on 0800 587 4787

0 Ratings
Starwire
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 12

Even with FTTP you won’t get the full 20mbps upload. 

It is FTTP you have, as in an Openreach Engineer came and Installed an ONT inside your house and not just an upgrade on your FTTC Circuit?

0 Ratings
Stumpy21
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 12

Thank you for your replies.

Yes FTTP package with the engineer installed ONT.

The upload speed is exactly the same as before with no increase at all !

Will give BT a ring and check.

0 Ratings
Stumpy21
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 12

I have checked with BT and been informed that the order is complete and those are my speeds.

So that is of no benefit to me as it was the extra upload I wanted.

Still in my 14 day order period so I have cancelled the Superfast Fibre 2 package and asked to go back to my previous package/contract.

0 Ratings
Starwire
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 12

Ah right, I assume you’re testing with a wired device connected directly to the Hub? 

0 Ratings
Sage
Message 7 of 12

Did you ring the FTTP team uig the number @licquorice gave you?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 12

Ring them again and be insistent that the upgrade hasn't completed successfully.

0 Ratings
Stumpy21
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 12

Yes my PC is connected by cable.

I rang the FTTP number again, sounded like a party going on in the background, laughing and shouting etc.  the person I spoke to sounded like they couldn't really be bothered.

I was told my stay fast guarantee was 34Mbps download and minimum upload speed was 9Mbps. So all was within spec.     Said might improve by midnight !!??

So sadly because the person who carried out the upgrade could only be bothered to do half a job and thought I would only be interested in the download speed,  didn't bother to enter/alter the upload speed to 20Mbps.

Not worried enough to go any further, so I have filled in the online cancellation form.

0 Ratings
Starwire
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 12

So sadly because the person who carried out the upgrade could only be bothered to do half a job and thought I would only be interested in the download speed,  didn't bother to enter/alter the upload speed to 20Mbps.’

The Openreach Engineer doesn’t set or change any kind of settings anywhere to configure your Download/Upload Speed.

Openreach send a 1gbps Sync Rate to the ONT and speeds are then capped at the ONT and by your Provider.

0 Ratings