cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

Upgrade to broken broadband

Hello

I upgraded after being tempted by the £1 extra per month to switch to infinity, and now sit here thinking that was a massive mistake. I had a nice stable broadband connection, 8mb per sec was good enough, was switched over to infinity Tuesday and since then no internet connection. After going through the help line Wednesday morning and plugging and unplugging everything an engineer was booked for Wednesday, nice and quick I thought. Got a text later that day saying they had found a fault at the exchange and the engineer was cancelled and all should be fixed by Friday. Come Friday afternoon no internet and no word so a quick call and the helpful bt helpdesk said I would get a text by 6pm confirming everything and he would make sure someone would call after 6pm as well to make sure everything was working. No surprise really to see no internet still and no text. I understand sometimes things take longer to fix. But the lack of follow up phone call is very disappointing. So now 4 days of no internet, makes working from home impossible. Does anyone know the chances of them switching me back to copper broadband while they decide if they can fix the fibre broadband issues? They obviously have no idea how long it is going to take to fix.

Thanks.
0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: Upgrade to broken broadband

In order to find out what services and speed range you should be getting, please enter your phone number into this form.
Broadband availability checker

Please remember to edit out your phone number before you post the results here.

Are you using a home hub 5 or home hub 6?

Is it connected to exactly the same point as the home hub you were using on ADSL?

Its not that easy to go back to ADSL, as that comes from the exchange, and the filters in the fibre cabinet would block it.

Have you checked that your phone number is the same?

Unless people want BT Vision, and the extra TV channels, or they have a very poor ADSL speed, upgrading to Infinity is not really worth it in my opinion. There is a higher fault liability with equipment in street cabinets, compared with equipment in exchanges, where the environment is controlled.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 4

Thanks for the reply, seems like I should have done some more research first and not just assumed it would be faster to download games and movies. I will give them to the end of next week to fix then demand it is cancelled and I am returned back to the previous working broadband. I am sure I will get the usual corporate response.

I am using the hub that was posted to me when I upgraded, it is plugged into the master socket the same as the previous broadband. The fault is at the exchange so not much I can do but wait, but some communication would be nice.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 4

Have you had any joy mate? I'm having a similar issue and am really worried how long it's going to drag on for.

0 Ratings