cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

Upgraded from 500 to 900 mbps

Hello all,

Have today been moved from 500 Mbps to 900 Mbps. Router confirms this as does BT speed checker.

However, when I test the WiFi using Oakla at 6 feet away from the router, I am getting a ping of 7 ms but only 36mbps down and 32 Mbps up. This can't be right surely. 

Also, as I have Halo 3 and two BT round extension devices in the house, I am getting about 60mbps down and about 80mbps up. 

All very strange to me. Is something wrong, have I wasted my money moving to 900mbps??

Help appreciated. Many thanks.

John

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Re: Upgraded from 500 to 900 mbps

@Johnmlowe 

You have probably wasted your money upgrading as its only going to show any improvement on Ethernet connected devices.

You are unlikely to get anything like the full speed over wireless, on a single device, also devices are optimised for download speed not upload speed.

It was never intended that people get full speed on all devices, especially on a wireless connection. The intention is to allow that bandwidth to be shared among family members and multiple devices, without each user noticing any slowdown.

Here is a quote from old post by @SeanD  on 18/06/2021

"I think for the first time ever we are in a situation whereby the speed you can now get through Full Fibre outperforms the capabilities of many devices.  

The Smart hub 2 does not come with Wi-Fi 6 but this is something we are looking to include in our next generation of Hub.  I don't have any info as to when we will launch a new router by Wi-Fi 6 will bring some improvement.

As an example of what I mean in terms of devices not being able to support the full breadth of speed available on Full Fibre , take a look at the table below.  This is just for a couple of Apple Smart Phones and Tablets along with  popular Samsung models,

Apple (Smartphones) Dualband (2.4 & 5Ghz) Theoretical Max speed on 2.4Ghz connection Theoretical Max speed on 5Ghz connection
IPHONE SE Yes 60mbps 300mbps
IPHONE SE 2020 Yes 135mbps

600mbps

Samsung (Smartphones) Dualband (2.4 & 5Ghz) Theoretical Max speed on 2.4Ghz connection Theoretical Max speed on 5Ghz connection
galaxy-s10e Yes 135mbps 600mbps
galaxy-s10-5g Yes 135mbps 600mbps

Apple (Tablets) Dualband (2.4 & 5Ghz) Theoretical Max speed on 2.4Ghz connection Theoretical Max speed on 5Ghz connection
IPAD pro 3rd gen (Nov 2018) Yes 135mbps 600mbps
IPAD pro 4th gen (March 2020) Yes 135mbps 600mbps

Samsung (Tablet) Dualband (2.4 & 5Ghz) Theoretical Max speed on 2.4Ghz connection Theoretical Max speed on 5Ghz connection
galaxy-tab-s5e Yes 100mbps 300mbps
galaxy-tab-s6 Yes 60mbps 600mbps

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 4

Hello Keith and thank you for your reply.

I can see where you are coming from but how does that explain the large disparity with WiFi between the router figures and the Halo extenders? 

When I first got FTTP, the basic 150 Mbps version, I could sit near the router and get a download speed of around 100 Mbps on WiFi!  Now, on 900mbps it shows approx 30 Mbps. That seems illogical to me.

But thanks again. Maybe I should contact BT.

John

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 4

The extenders use a dedicated backhaul connection to the home hub using a hidden SSID which I suspect is being given a higher priority over the visible 2.4GHz and 5GHz SSIDSs.

Also some wireless devices do not perform well if they are dual band, and can see both visible SSIDs.

It may be worth trying a different wireless channel which has less interference on it.

ISPs do not guarantee wireless speeds, so BT are unlikely to be able to help.

0 Ratings