cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

Upgraded to 900 Full Fibre but only getting 270mbps

Hi 

I was wondering if anyone could help me, we upgraded our broadband from fibre 2 (was getting 74 mbps) to full fibre 900 however only get 170-230 mbps. Rang BT and they went through a number of steps however has not improved. They said the speed to the hub was 534 mbps but on any device that I ran a speed test on I was only getting the 170-230 mbps. They said that with wireless connection that we would never receive the full speed however surely if I am standing right beside the hub we should be getting a lot more that 170-230 mbps?? 

As anyone experienced this and if so what did you do? Considering going to a lower package as no point paying for something we will never receive. 

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Re: Upgraded to 900 Full Fibre but only getting 270mbps

the speeds quoted by BT are connection speeds at your hub not download speeds to a device especially wifi connections which are subject to local interference

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 4

Thank you for your reply and I understand I can’t expect 900 but to me 170 is not even close to half of 900 and  it’s the highest package I can have. Am I wrong to expect more than 170? Even with an Ethernet cable it’s only 230. Surely this can’t be right. 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 4

@cmoo4190 

230 mbps does sound really slow on ethernet.

The most i have been able to get via wifi from the Smarthub 2 is 423 mbps on an iPhone XS Max. At that point, I think I'm hitting the limits of what wifi can do.

Have you checked that your wifi is disabled when you plug in the ethernet cable into your desktop/laptop to run the test? Mine sometimes still keeps the wifi on and uses that even when an ethernet cable is plugged in.

Also, depending on the server you run your speedtest against, it can vary wildly as to what result you can get. Try fast.com if you have not already done so and see what result that gives.

With speedtest.net, where I am based (Bristol), I find the Community Fibre Limited server in London gives me the best results, as I get a low ping (6ms) and it can max out my connection at 900 mbps down and 110 mbps up. Also, make sure that you're running Multi connection not Single connection if using Speedtest.net.

0 Ratings