Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ralsters
Beginner
Message 1 of 11

Upgraded to 900mb/s FTTP and speed barely reaches 200 mb/s

Morning folks. 

Previously had 50mb/s broadband, upgraded and was sent a new hub 2 - since then the speeds have been very patchy, and seems to have settled at under 200 via wifi. Connected a laptop via Ethernet and it wasn’t much better. When I do a BT speed test they say the router has over 600 mb/s speed and as that’s above their minimum guarantee then nothing is wrong.
my concern is that my speeds are miles  below  the promised (and paid for) 910mb/s  download speed and BT thinks this is ok. 
should I expect speeds on my various devices less than a quarter of what I should be getting? I get that wifi speeds will be lower, but surely not as low. I’ve even used the phone (iphone 11 pro) right beside the router and still poor speeds.

and guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks!

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
smithjones
Contributor
Message 2 of 11

Re: Upgraded to 900mb/s FTTP and speed barely reaches 200 mb/s

Your wireless speed is not much of a concern, depends on local interference etc

Plug your laptop directly into the ONT and create a pppoe connection to connect to BT ISP and then speed test, if its not top whack then its your cable or laptop that is slowing things down.

Edit, should have said, try different speed test sites, fast.com etc

0 Ratings
Ralsters
Beginner
Message 3 of 11

Hi and thanks for your response.

i connected a laptop via Ethernet (using port 1) and using the Ethernet cable provider by BT in the hub 2 but, so I’m assuming it’s rated sufficiently to manage 910mb/s.

as to wireless interference, I’ve literally sat both my mobile and a 1 yr old Mac book pro within 12 inches of it and neither went above 200 mb/s. I understand distance and obstacles create interference not to mention weakening of the signal, but literally sat beside it, not to mention the hard wired test and both are really poor speeds. Worth noting when I had 50mb/s broadband with an old router, there was little or no loss through wireless from the router across the whole house? 
 Thanks 

brookheather
Expert
Message 4 of 11

So what speed did you get on fast.com using Ethernet?  The SmartHub 2 doesn't seem able to provide wireless speeds above 300Mb/s so you would need to buy your own high end wireless kit if you expect to see higher wifi speeds.  If you are only using wifi then you would be better off with 500 or lower package as you simply won't get gigabit wireless speeds with wifi.

0 Ratings
smithjones
Contributor
Message 5 of 11

There are too many unknowns in your posts, is the 'laptop' you refer to the mac book pro?

Does the mac book have a ethernet connection, is this USB ?

Being sat next to the wifi router means nothing, interference from other clients, access points and all other devices wont care where you are sat. Because someone doesnt know your wifi password doesnt mean your router insnt constantly polling other client devices, the TV next door, the car that just went past, anything.

I have a Unifi system that shows every last detail of all access points, clients etc within range of all my access points, it runs to hundreds all the time each one constantly 'talking'.  I can be sat next to one of my UAP-AC-HD access points which is a £300 device, with my Iphone 11 Pro and it sometimes will only pull 150-200Mbps.

In the last 24hours ive picked up 216 separate clients (laptops, TV's anything with wifi) and 106 separate access points.

0 Ratings
Mudge
Beginner
Message 6 of 11

I had a similar issue, spoke to someone from BT for over an hour trying different things. 

Directly connected to the router with a CAT6 ethernet I wasn't getting anything over 300mb (yes my laptop does support up to 1GB) 

Im now awaiting a new router to arrive, as the guy from BT seems to think its a router issue. 

Ralsters
Beginner
Message 7 of 11

This will be my second router...here’s hoping yours works properly 👍
0 Ratings
Doitcom
Beginner
Message 8 of 11

I've had the same issue from BT. Was on 300mb and upgraded to 900mb. No new devices have been added to my network and when I ring they say you have 11 devices and they will reduce your speeds.

I had 300mb before with 11 devices and I would get around 270-280 - so a 10% drop.   Now i'm on 900mb, I get 300-400mb... over 50% drop.       I will request a new router maybe.  

They say the line is hitting 600-700mb.... still 200 short from the speed they sell.

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
Ralsters
Beginner
Message 9 of 11

I’m getting line speeds of490mb, which is significantly less that the over 900mb I was told I’d get. 
I’ve got openreach back out today, as BT have said all has to be sorted by engineers, and they themselves can do nothing to fix it. Engineers say they’ve tested the line and it’s within tolerance, therefore as far as they’re concerned, there’s nothing more they can do. 
I’m piggy in the middle here, and all I want is that BT take  responsibility to sort the speed issue and get me closer to the speed im paying for...not a whole lot to ask, you’d think 🤔 

0 Ratings
Kingjed
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 11

Same here
0 Ratings