cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Upgraded to FTTP 300mb/s but now getting slower speeds than before?

I was getting around 50mb/s before and I have just upgraded today and my speed has gone down. I'm currently connected through powerline ethernet adapters (tried both BT adapters and TP-Link) so I should definitely be getting higher. I'm getting 240mb/s wirelessly on my phone beside the router and 70mb/s wirelessly on my laptop in the same room as this computer I am testing on. I have factory reset the router and tried various ethernet cables (CAT-5). 

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Upgraded to FTTP 300mb/s but now getting slower speeds than before?

try testing speed without powerline adapters connected as other posts found they caused problems

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

With the location of the router there is no way to for me to test an ethernet connection as I do not have one long enough. Why would ethernet adapters work previously but not now? Also what would be an alternative then to this problem assuming the ethernet adapters were to blame excluding the usual "use a long ethernet cable".

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

Also to note I looked into other problems involving TP-Link powerline ethernet adapters and discovered the TP-Link utility, now on this it shows that there is 202mbps being transferred between the adapters but currently I'm getting 92mbps.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

I feel your pain..

Unfortunately in the FTTP world, speeds are so much higher than was envisioned for these devices. On several occasions I have tried to use them to provide higher bandwidth to parts of the house that WiFi just could not match. I'm quite a demanding customer, and I'm sorry to say that I've never been satisfied with the performance of these devices, whilst recognising that they often tick all of the right boxes for friends, relatives and neighbours that have less challenging goals!

For me power line has always been particularly susceptible to:

• Mains interference
    • Extenders plugged into 4 way extension leads, especially if other phone charger/ psu devices are plugged in.
    • any other noisey appliances, microwaves etc. This topic is a bit nebulous, but as an example I once had and example of a client, who's son experienced internet dropouts at certain times in the evening, In turned out that the younger son had been using a mains attached sex toy that was disrupting power line and to a lesser extent WiFi! 
  • Ridiculous sticker claims
    • AV600, AV1300- all imply performance that are subject to local environmental conditions (much like ADSL,ADSL2,FTTC), and from my perspective are rarely met.

they definitely serve a purpose, but for me, for anything other than a wireless mobile device I install wired ethernet.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

Yeah in an ideal world I would have an ethernet cable but in my current situation its not really possible so thats why I've been using PEA's. Have been using them for a few years and have noticed my fair share of random drop outs and problems but thats what I get I guess. I get about 40mbps if I plug it into a socket extender or something similar so it is plugged directly into a wall socket at the moment. That client story is pretty interesting lol I've went through phases of trying to correlate my ping spikes / dropouts to appliances being turned on in my house, no luck as of yet though! 

0 Ratings