Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 14

Upgraded to Fibre 900 but the download speeds havn't gone up

Go to solution

Do I need to install the Smart Hub 2 to get the full speed? Currently have a Smart Hub 1. Upload speed has improved but not the downloads. 

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 2 of 14

Re: Upgraded to Fibre 900 but the download speeds havn't gone up

Go to solution

Thanks - Just backing you up here - Exactly the same thing with me as well this morning. Overnight it was activated but the download speed is the same or slightly less. Upload speed is now over 100mbps tho. Download speeds are in the range of 180 to 190. 455 Is the minimum service speed we should be getting. I have Smart Hub 2

Other thing I've noticed is that the My BT phone app in the speed test no longer shows "speed to the hub" and now only shows "hub to the device" speed

I'm not sure if the line is still figuring out the speed it can get to but when I originally got Fibre 300 it was instantly at it's fastest speed

Any thoughts appreciated 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 3 of 14

Go to solution

If you're on an FTTP package im pretty sure your HUB (like mine when i first got Fibre900) will show Sync speeds of 1000/1000 always.

You should always when first upgrading always use the new HUB setup that BT provides you and keep it handy for testing perpouses should anything go wrong.

When testing your speed never use WiFi, it'll always be way lower than the 900Mbps you're expecting due to a wide range of variables, from your devices' WiFi Chip, Interferance from other devices in your hosue (not just internet connected ones), and distance etc etc.... Never test for actual download/upload figures over WiFi.

The FTTP Line doesn't have DLM so there isn't a 10 day period to figure out a spable speed for your line. G-Fast WILL have DLM though.

You can try powering down your ONT (White Openreach "Modem" where the Fibre comes into the house) for 10-15mins and then turning it back on to see if your speeds increase to the 900Mbps expected, again don't test this speed over WiFi.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 4 of 14

Go to solution
thank you 🙂
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 14

Go to solution

The WiFi performance is pretty bad, but after getting my nerd hat on, I've noticed I have a lot of Cat5 ethernet cables , which only allow 100Mbps. Changed a few to Cat5e and it's better now 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 14

Go to solution

Sorry to hijack the thread I’m getting top speeds using my iPhone and Bt whole sale speed test but very poor download speeds using my laptop that has a 1 gigabit Ethernet card and cat 6 cable the upload is fine but download is only around 300 yet high 800 on WiFi and ideas.? 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 14

Upgraded to Fibre900, speeds have dropped

Go to solution

Just tried going back to my old Smart Hub and it's still the same. Surely with 900Mbps I should be getting more than 50 on Wi-Fi and ethernet? 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 14

Fibre 900 is a scam if you never even get close to 900Mbps

Go to solution

I realise this is a bit "first world problems" buy why should I be paying for 900Mbps and I've never got over 400 no matter when I've tested it 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 14

Re: Fibre 900 is a scam if you never even get close to 900Mbps

Go to solution

Please confirm this is over Ethernet and not WiFi. You won't get 900 over WiFi. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 14

Re: Fibre 900 is a scam if you never even get close to 900Mbps

Go to solution
As already intimated , the chances are it’s your equipment , or the method chose to connect to the router that you are using rather than what’s being supplied , that is limiting your speed, there are many similar posts , WiFi isn’t likely to give you huge speeds, and if you are using an Ethernet connection, is the network card up to the job ?
0 Ratings