We have put together a short survey to capture your feedback in terms of what BT can do when you experience home Wi-Fi issues. We would appreciate it if you could take a couple of minutes to complete a short survey. Read more from here, Fix my home Wi-Fi
Tested on a new PC with a Cat5e ethernet cable, nothing else connected.
When I was on the 300 I always ran speed tests on my sons PS4 and always for frat speeds close to 300 now I’m on 900 and running the same speed test in PS4 and getting 100 max never over it
Does the PC have an Intel network card or something else like Realtek? Some cheap Realtek network chipsets have much lower throughput as they rely on the cpu much more than Intel network chipsets. You could try adding an Intel PCIe network card - ex-server pulls are quite cheap on the bay.
Realtek is fine for client devices where the difference in throughput often isn't a big deal and if you already have Realtek NICs then it's probably not worth replacing them.
The Intel NIC does offload CPU usage, but not by much - in total CPU usage, the difference is ~3.5%
I too am going through similar problems with BT Fibre 900 Halo 1 Package. After around 10 days i contacted BT and advised i was never getting above 120mbps, direct cat5e connection to BT Smart Hub 2, wireless turned off, single connection. After the usual 'troubleshooting' they send out a 2nd, brand new Smart Hub 2, left for another 2 weeks, same thing. Strangest thing is, if i attach my WIFI6 Mesh system to the router, have all my connections active (approx 25) i get faster reported speeds via my newer devices such as Galaxy &iPhone smartphones(latest). Approx 1-200mbps with the occasional spike to 300. Never on a directly wired connection.
But still only a fraction of the reported "at least half" of the 900mb being paid for. I check my speeds multiple times throughout the day and most nights as i am usually working from the hrs 12-7am you would expect better speeds, but alas, still same problem, directly connect via Ethernet laptop currently...100/110mbps, however on my phone.... was 140mbps a few mins ago, now is 45...
So with all new cabling, new hub, a multitude of devices to test with, ££££'s spent on infrastructure such as a brand new LinkSys WiFi6 mesh system, countless hours (or should i add up and say days) on the phone, 10-20 engineer visits, 5/6 dig orders and (before BT scrapped the online chat) Hrs and hours & money spent, i am getting pretty much 12/13% of what i pay for.... so much for 'guaranteed 50%'... 450mbps seems like a dream at this point.
Same here, ps5 PS4 all say max 250 and when downloading on ps5 only downloading at around 250 so it’s definitely not running at 900 , had it nearly a year now might send an e mail to ofcom
Sorry but before you go to Ofcom to complain you should check your speed using BT's own Speed Test and I think you will find that you will be getting around 900 Mbps coming into the house. Like you, I thought when I moved to the 900mbps I would be getting somewhere near that quoted figure but unfortunately, I get between 249 to 279 Mbps. I was then told to check and do a BT Speedtest and I found that I was getting 879mbps to the BT Hub. I spoke to my son in law who is a software engineer and he did a few tests on my internet and he said that very few of my equipment would ever get 900 and the best I could wish for is 300 Mbps. So I wouldn't be going to Ofcom until you have checked the speed coming into the house. The speed I am getting is not much different from the 300Mbps BT. It appears the problem I have is the equipment, the PCs and the Macs that have can't take the 900 mbps